secodnary school teaching after phd

P

does anyone have any knowledge about or experience in becoming a secondary science school teacher after doing a Phd.. have been thinking about this for a while now as an option for when i finish

G

LOTS written about this in the past. Search the forum.

R

I think it is important to try to gain as much classroom experience as possible prior to applying for a pgce, to give you a good understanding of what you are getting yourself in to and whether teaching is really for you. Many schools will offer a shadowing placement if you contact them. Timing is also something to think about as most pgces start in Sept and it depends when you are finished with your phd as to whether you will have to wait until the following year to apply.

S

Dunno if this is helpful, i think this is more research-orientated than teaching, but:

http://www.researchersinresidence.ac.uk/rir/

L

you would be very highly thought of and would find it a lot easier to get a job, as long as you can teach ok. you would probably progress up the careeer ladder quicker as well

G

Anyone with a pulse progresses up the ladder quickly in teaching.

R

I know a guy in my old research group who went on to do second level teaching. I think having a PhD gives you a great advantage in teaching because you have studied science to the highest level and should have a wealth of knowledge on a lot of aspects of the subject

the bad thing that i can see is that initially, trainee teachers get paid very badly when thay start off. the guy i knew who went on to do teaching got paid less than my EPRSC stipend at the start and had a really hard time with students.

But best of luck with that. could be a very enjoyable career for you. its something im considering myself

P

what exactly is that meant to mean golfpro????

H

That he doesn't have a very high opinion of most heads of departments and head teachers?

P

seems a bit rude to me

R

Sounds to me like golf pro doesnt have a high opinion of the profession at all. I can understand why some people have this view

But I wouldnt say secondary school teaching is an easy job by any stretch of the imagination. It's easy to become a teacher but difficult to be a great teacher.

G

It means that the career ladder in teaching is rather shorter than before. I know HoD's in their late 20's and even a Head teacher who's 33. What I'm implying is that there isn't the intense competition (career wise) there used to be in teaching as the (staff) drop-out rate is so high. Anyone who stays in the industry for 7 years plus is considered a veteran. Nothing really to do with my opinion of the profession. Thats how it is (or how practicing teachers tell me how it is).

L

Going from a PhD to teacher training is a massive jump, I would advise you try and get experience in several schools before you make any firm decisions. I began teacher training as a secondary science teacher but left to start my PhD, I personally found staying up till all hours in the morning preparing worksheets about very basic science concepts frustrating.
Teaching is a really rewarding career at times but dont be fooled by what appears to be short working hours and long holidays. Planning lessons, preparing resources and putting up displays all take time.
Good luck!

S

I dropped out of a PGCE long ago. I have had many teacher friends - 50% leave within 3 years. It is a tough job - but being a bit older is a big help. I have some friends who love it - but you should definitely get some classroom experience first. If you can't keep control of a class of teengagers - don't even think about it. That's the big challenge.

T

I'm currently a teacher and if it's definitely what you want to do then I tihnk you should go for it. It's very hard work, of course - you have to really *want* to do it. It's not something you should drift into because you're not sure what else to do. Also the PGCE course is pretty intensive, so you need to be prepared for that, and be able to take criticism well, because when you're learning to teach, you are going to get criticised. That said, teaching is an exciting, surprising and rewarding job, and if it's what you decide to do, best of luck!