Second year accountability thread

S

hi Keep Calm, everyone
I am just up from bed---was supposed to go to sleep early but looks like it was just a nap.
Just checked mail and theres one from my sup to meet tomorrow!
I will be working on my data tonight....

What's 'Kim'?

This evening I watched a bit of Ratatouille. I really tried to sleep (for the night) but I can't.

ok I will start my data work...
satchi

K

I'm pretty bad at getting to sleep early myself Satchi but at least it meant you got the e-mail!

Kim is a book by Rudyard Kipling which I'm teaching in a week and a bit. It's great but quite tough-going- my knowledge of the Disney Jungle Book didn't really prepare me for this. And I didn't manage to finish it last night, what a shock *rolls eyes*

P

You can all see how bad I am at this! (but I do work, just that I cant make myself wrie it all down)

2010 agenda : a chapter a month (despite any number of jobs, conferences, traveling, crap admin etc)

So, 15th Feb: to have drafted either Chapt 4 or Chapt 1 and 4 both

S

HI!! I'm going to do more data analysis tonight :-)
I havent read any of rudyard kipling's books but have seen Jungle Book :-)
SPSS
here I goooooooooooooooooooooooo

K

Bug, we all know how hard you work! Hope your data analysis went well Satchi. I have to admit, the Jungle Book is a lot more fun than Kim but I probably shouldn't say that 8-)
Last week's:
1) Have draft of conference paper to show to sup on Thursday. I realise I've been banging on about this for ages but the 16th is D-Day so I really must have this done!! DONE
2) Meet with others to discuss conference grant on Wednesday. Have list of hotels prepared beforehand, and some ideas for timeline. Is this week!
3) Have read 'Kim'. DONE
4) Have transferred all dates into the lovely diary my flatmate bought me for xmas DONE

5) Have finished 'Troilus and Criseyde' DONE

This week:
1) Read sup's comments on paper, adjust as necessary, paractice reading out loud and present at conference on Saturday.
2) Meet to talk about conference grant- is actually happening this week!
3) Go to MPP guidance session and teacher training day
4) Briefly research Kim for class and re-read Heart of Darkness
5) Read Troilus and Cressida (play)

E

Good morning to everyone!!!!
Feeling really good today!!!!
Yesterday was a very productive day for me, as I managed to finish a first draft of my methodology chapter (I really dreaded it). So, now I have 3 and a half chapters in first draft form and my research completed, which I think is good.
Next week I will be in my uni to meet with my supervisors and discuss what I will be doing for the next 4 months.
I have also been accepted at an international conference, so that will be my second presentation in my 2 years of studying.
I am really happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, how is everyone else doing?? I hope you are all having great progress!!!!!!(up)

M

Hi all. I'm technically in my third year but it's a four year phd with the first year being mostly coursework so it's equivalent to being in 2nd year for most people. Mind if I join? So far I have 0 chapters, 0 data (not relevant to me), 0 conference presentations and 0 hope of being finished on time. 20 months is enough time for a complete phd right?

(snowman)

K

Course you can join in Mathkitty! I've read of people on this forum who have finished their PhD in much less time than 20 months, so I'm sure you can do it. This little thread has helped me a lot over the past couple of months, I hope it works for you too.

K

1) Read sup's comments on paper, adjust as necessary, practice reading out loud and present at conference on Saturday. DONE.
2) Meet to talk about conference grant- is actually happening this week! DONE
3) Go to MPP guidance session and teacher training day 1st DONE, 2nd postponed.
4) Briefly research Kim for class and re-read Heart of Darkness. 1st DONE, 2nd not finished
5) Read Troilus and Cressida (play) Half : (

Last week was really good for me, I gave a surprisingly succesful paper and am feeling on top of the world : D. But, back to earth. This week:

1) Finish Troilus and Cressida.
2) Find and read primary source X
3) Reply to e-mails/ send e-mails to people met at conference
4) Ask sup which publication (big or small) I should realistically go for. If big, start planning how to expand paper. If small, start expanding paper!
5) Plan lesson and teach 'Kim'
6) Read and research 'Heart of Darkness'
7) Start filling in conference grant application - needs to be sent off next week.

P

Hello all

Hmm, here's my goals for the coming month (by 15th Feb)..I'lluse Yup in place of Done!

1. Get accepted to biggest conference of our field : Yup!
2. Submit abstracts for 2nd biggest and 3rd biggest conference: 2nd biggest yup!
3. Conplete draft with sup for one Euorpean project (120 pages!) and present near Arctic lands: in progress
4. SUbmit Thesis Chapters 1, 2 and 3 on 15th Feb: Outlines done
5. Complete coding and drafting bits of methods chapter on the wal: arrgh, getting there...
6. IN the role of young scolar's rep on European organisation X, plan the workshop: getting there
7. In the role as Dept PhD rep, continue orking on the dept symnposium for summer: ongoing
8. Present at France: paper to be written (argh)
9. Perhaps begin draft of paper being written with sup: hmmm...
10. Attend two network meetings of two European projects: sigh, yes to be done...

that's enough for a month, will be back sometme!!!

M

After finding it really hard to get back to work for the past few weeks I've made this list of things that I have three weeks to do, so until Feb 7th:

* Write Slides
* Type Slides
* Practice Talk
* Prepare TY work
* Write Chapter on PG code
* Type Chapter
* Sort out current c code
* Test c code
* Adapt c code

I've gotten a little done already today so I'm feeling good!

Well done phdbug on the acceptance. Both you and KeepCalm seem to be making great strides!

K

======= Date Modified 25 Jan 2010 15:45:24 =======
Thanks Mathkitty! It doesn't feel that way at all and my first year was a bit of a write off but it's nice to feel like I'm slowly getting there. Hope you've had a good week.
1) Finish Troilus and Cressida. DONE
2) Find and read primary source X
3) Reply to e-mails/ send e-mails to people met at conference DONE
4) Ask sup which publication (big or small) I should realistically go for. If big, start planning how to expand paper. If small, start expanding paper! DONE (answer was 'both'!)
5) Plan lesson and teach 'Kim' DONE
6) Read and research 'Heart of Darkness' almost read
7) Start filling in conference grant application - needs to be sent off next week DONE

This week I really need to remember thereason I'm here-to write a thesis!- and concentrate on getting primary reading done. So:
1)Send chapters off to second supervisor
2)Find sources for play Y and try to find/list/read, if short, if not just work out summary
3)Plan lesson and teach
4)Finish conference grant application by 29th
5) Adapt conference paper into article and have ready to send off next week- discuss extra secondary material/more close reading/ make fit with journal CFP/reference.

K

I'm falling behind a bit this week as the bloody conference proposal is taking longer than I thought humanely possible. So today I need to get the following done before I leave today, by hook or by crook:

1. Read one chapter OR appropriate sections from Book x, whichever is best
2. Edit and send off chapters to second supervisor.

K

======= Date Modified 28 Jan 2010 11:23:19 =======
Yesterday I wanted to:

Quote From Keep_Calm:

1. Read one chapter OR appropriate sections from Book x, whichever is best
2. Edit and send off chapters to second supervisor.

I did the first, and started the second, but the whole thing just takes so long and I'm starting to panic. My second sup says he just wants to see the 2 chapters I have so far and it doesn't matter what they look like- but seriously, one of them doesn't even make sense at the moment! Neither of them are anything like I want them to be, so it seems pointless sending them off to my sup only to have him confirm this. But, I'm submitting to an article on Monday and that desperately needs writing up, so what to do?

I think I will concentrate on the article for the next couple of days because the things I'm working on will hopefully clarify parts of one of the chapters. Then I have a choice. I can either be realistic and give myself a week to get these chapters in order and send off to sup, or I can tell myself to just get the bare minimum sorted out and send them on Monday.

I think I'll see how this article pans out and decide on Monday which route to take. So, today:
1. Read both chapters of book; even though it's not making much sense to me right now, eventually it will be crucial.
2. Track down second book and pull out some good quotes.
3. Start integrating all this extra material into article.
4. See what kind of shape its now taking and draw up a framework.

It's going to be a loooong day. Sorry for rambling, but has cleared my mind a little.

K

Ok, I've worked 10 hours and I'm tired and hungry and the office is empty so I'm going to go home.

1. Read both chapters of book; even though it's not making much sense to me right now, eventually it will be crucial. Read one.
2. Track down second book and pull out some good quotes. DONE
3. Start integrating all this extra material into article.DONE
4. See what kind of shape its now taking and draw up a framework. Not done.

Not brilliant, but I'm feeling happier and I can 'see' the framework in my mind so I think it'll be ok. Tomorrow:

1. Integrate material more fully
2. Draw up frameowrk
3. Re-organize according to framework