Second year accountability thread

K

Aw Fig, you didn't kill it!

I've been stupidly busy recently, so have not really had to make plans as I know exactly what needs to be done and how long I have left. No wiggle room! After Monday I'll be needing to hold myself accountable again.

Well done for getting everything done. As I said to a friend of mine today, two weeks late means bang on time in academia :-)

M

Thanks Fig for holding us accountable. Really needed that. Finding working really difficult at the moment. Health not great and other life pressures getting in the way. That and sup worried about the time frame for finishing. Still working on the same goals, what's involved keeps changing too.

For Monday:
Finish re-draft of first case which involves:
* type in corrections
* check out the correct left/right plan
* rewrite some parts
* Work examples

For Thursday next:
* Write up background and beginning parts
* Work on second case
* Write it up

Really don't feel like it and there's so much in there. Wish me luck!

K

======= Date Modified 25 Mar 2010 15:04:51 =======
Good luck Kitty, sorry you've been having a hard time. Keep going, we're all behind you!

M

Thanks KC. Hope all here are working away! Another bad week in Kittyville but determined to work really hard this week so I can enjoy a break away with husband for Easter. My goals were
For Monday:
Finish re-draft of first case which involves:
* type in corrections MOSTLY DONE
* check out the correct left/right plan
* rewrite some parts MOSTLY DONE
* Work examples

For Thursday next:
* Write up background and beginning parts MOSTLY DONE
* Work on second case
* Write it up

If I get the first case completely written up by Thursday I'll be happy enough. Aiming to at least get a start on case 2 though. Must be accountable!

P

======= Date Modified 03 Apr 2010 21:50:03 =======
Sounds lovely all of you! My easter's being spent with gran, which is soooo lovely!

Anyway, just to say that I'm gonna be mvoing out form this thread, as the whole gran thing has thrown my sced off the track and am having some other health and anxiety stuff going. So hopefully all wil be well.

Good luck fellow warriors!!!

B

Hi Folks, good to see you're all beavering away. I'm posting because I need a bit of ummpphh to get back into things again after my Easter break. The two major things I have to do are: Apply for a full-time past that's come up at one ofmy teaching places, yhey said I'd 'make a good application' although without any publications I uncertain I will stand up to competition, and so I am planning to work really hard to get this as shiney, bright and wonderful as can possibly be. I also have a 7000 word piece due in at the end of the month. I've started both things: I wrote an outline/structure for the 7000 word piece, and have started my statement for the application and filled in some of the fields. So! Today, I will be continuing the application form. I'm not going to set a goal for that because I want to pace the work as it comes - the deadline in the end of the month. Thanks for being here, will post again later.

Hello again, not a brilliantly productive day: I wrote 500 words of my personal statement, and marked 4 essays. I'm in a happy, lazy haze at mo. Didn't go swimming either :$ have decided to go to the free hour tomorrow morn.

K

Hi all,

I've not been accountable for a while now but have been slacking off recently, so I need to get back into the swing of things. So, this week:

1. Read 3 chapters of book.
2. Re-read feedback from rejected journal article :-( and compile a list of revisions needed.
3. Plan how to re-write and extend article.
4. Re-write article in rough.

How have things been Eska? Everyone else?

M

Ok end the slacking all :) My phd has been on pause since the last time I posted so I'm exactly where I was two weeks ago. Hoping to catch up this week and so far pretty excited about the prospect. I think I actually missed it while life got in the way, amazing! :)

F

======= Date Modified 06 Sep 2011 11:38:42 =======

F

======= Date Modified 06 Sep 2011 11:37:58 =======

F

======= Date Modified 06 Sep 2011 11:37:19 =======

Hi all, I'm being old fashioned and sticking with the acccountability thread.

I finally have some time to work on the PhD, so have been working today. My aims are as follows:

Overall goal: Have a 7000 word piece written on a film for my sup next week - the deadline I set myself in Monday but this will not happen due to toothache last week, and an extra marking contract I've been given. But I will try...

So, in smaller pieces (I won't say chunks due to being traumatised by that phrase during my teacher training), here is my proposed intineray:

1. Research and write 2000 words on literary influences - am doing this at the mo. This is also sectioned, I've written the intro and one half of one of two main body sections.
2. Research and write 3000 words on thematic content relating to my topic.
3. Write introduction. I've already written about 400 words for this and have some already from previous work, so this should be mostly editing.
4. Write my conclusion, which should be very profound etc, and point the way forward with a big sparkly and magical finger.

Hopefully, I'll be writing DONE on here later today. We willl see.

K

Hello all,

I'm coming back to this thread. I don't know why I ended up drifting away but have realised recently how well it did to keep me motivated. How is everyone else doing?

Ok, this week:

1. Fill out and submit expenses form for conference
2. Re-read article I'm reviewing and have draft of review sent to sup by end of week.
3. Have dodgy parts of my article re-written and again sent to sup to look at. This will entail- re-reading article, reading my notes and reading necessary bits from other books.
4. Have conference website up and running.

Here goes :-)

K

1. Fill out and submit expenses form for conference DONE
2. Re-read article I'm reviewing and have draft of review sent to sup by end of week. DONE
3. Have dodgy parts of my article re-written and again sent to sup to look at. This will entail- re-reading article, reading my notes and reading necessary bits from other books. half done
4. Have conference website up and running. DONE

Not bad, not great. I'm struggling with the article which I feel like I will never be happy with but I really have to finish it soon and get back on track with my thesis. So next week:

1. Finish revising article and send out. Most important.
2. Ring people for conference.
3. Continue work for next chapter of thesis. I'm going to quantify this and say: have 1,000 words written of any sort of quality.