Should I do a Phd Part Time?

E

======= Date Modified 23 Apr 2010 08:05:24 =======
I don't want to dismiss out of hand the idea that you've been facing racism, because it's not something I've ever had to deal with (and it's unlikely I ever will) so it would be easy for me to say from my privileged position that it doesn't exist. I know that even people who would be horrified at being called 'racist' sometimes have unconscious prejudices and bias towards people who are like themselves. But having said that, university departments are pretty diverse places, in science at least you tend to get a real mix of nationalities and backgrounds.

And I agree that a couple of rejections is nothing - don't take it to personally, I've certainly been through such experiences and I guess many of us here have too. I generally managed to get shortlisted and interviewed, but had to go through a lot of interviews before I was successful. I generally got feedback along the same lines as yours 'You were a strong applicant, however someone else was better'. There's just so much competition for funded places and pretty much everyone who applies has good qualifications.

I agree with the suggestion to get a tutor or someone to look over your application - they know how the system works and what the admissions panel are looking for - but apart from that you just have to keep trying, disheartening as it is, and maybe keep the part-time thing in mind so you can fall back on that if all else fails...