Starting a Phd

T

I have just completed my MSc and would now like to do a PhD. Do you attend lectures and write essays or are PhD's all about your own research?
I am looking at applying to York university although I expect you have to be bright to do a PhD and I am not a quick learner. I need to be drip feed information.
Any answers would be greatfully accepted.

Andrea

S

whats your field?

T

I am a social worker and I worked for a department where continuous professional development was not allowed. The manager, felt that CPD was not taught when she qualified so it was not important. There for none of her staff had any other training.
I did my MSc research on CPD and what staff think about CPD. I would like to expand on this now

Andrea

S

have you seen any projects advertised? would you be willing to find your own funding? i would think that would be more research based and not involve lecutures/essays etc

T

HI
I would have to fund it myself, so it would have to be part time. So I could still work. It is something I want to do but it may sound silly but I am scared.

Andrea

S

why are you scared?

T

Because I am not very bright. The MSc I have just finished was taught in such away that I never got the informtion I needed to do good pieces of work. Even though they were suppose to offer me extra handouts or explain things again to me. I found that the leactues could not be bothered to offer the extra support. So I am scared that I will face that again.

S

well the problem with a research phd is you would mainly decide your own project and direct your own work. but if you feel you have the enthusiasm and drive and good ideas try approaching potential supervisors, who may also be able to help find funding sources. it depends why you want to do a Phd i.e do you want to stay in research and will it further your career?

T

It would help to further my career and move me in the direction I want to go. If I could get the right supervisor then I would be well away. Once I get the bit between my teeth I am off. I just need to right support.

D

Hi Andrea. From the sounds of it you might be better off taking a professional doctorate which are more based around the work you do. They also combine taught elements as well as research and, if you want to stay working as a social worker instead of pursuing a career in research, you might find it more suitable.

S

have you tried contacting potential supervisors etc that would be a good place to start in deciding what you want to do.

L

You can even find part time funded projects if you are lucky.

T

I have contacted a couple of universities about details of PhD. I like researching things. I don't yet know of any one who would supervise. Another area I am interested in is quality of life for people with epilespy. Working in social work I come across a lot of perfessionals who say epilespy is not important. Therefore the clinet does not get the support they need. People don't seem to understand that if the epilespy is under control then the persons quality of life improves.

S

if you could write a research proposal in detail it may help find a supervisor or research group leaders who have done similar things and approach them to see if they would be interested in supervising you.

T

Thanks for hte advice I will do that.

Have a nice day!