Starting a Phd

J

Slight change of subject, but there was an article in New Scientist a few months back regarding intelligence and success. The premise was that those who do well in life are those who are motivated and work like dogs; not those who are born brilliant.

Now all I have to do is get motivated and start working...

L

Juno, it's best to have both ;)

D

I must agree with Juno, I am currently just finished Undergraduate study and about to start a PhD in October. I am not the sharpest tool in the box and really bad at exams. But I have a hell of a lot of ambition and drive to get where I want to go.

My Prof. at my current uni always said he found that the best PhD students were those with 2:2 or 2:1 degree classes. He himself got a 2:2 at an unprestigious uni, and now he is head of a school at a very prestigious uni and one of the world leaders in his choosen field. His reasoning for this is that PhDs you dont have to be overly clever, but must be willing to work hard and those people with firsts thought that they were too clever to go through the laborious task of completing a PhD. In contrast, those with lower degree classes feel like they have to work harder.

This is obviously a very generalised statment.

G

Just a bit.

T

All though I am no good at exams and it takes me a while to understand things. Once I get my head around what is required I am a way and enjoy studying.
I am going to apply to a couple of unis. If I don't give it a try I never will and I will regrete it later in life. So I know what I will be doing bank holiday monday.
Thanks for the replies
Andrea