Strange People

G

Signal-to-noise ratios get bad when people do not read previous posts, posting repeat or open-ended questions that attract no replies. Previous repliers are unlikely to answer ad-infinitum. The more similarly headed posts around, the more those making the effort to search give up and post the question again aswell.
Yes, searching for a PhD is stressful - also demotivating. A good source of information is being diluted here. Someone finding this site has to wade through many posts that don't give good advice, making it dispiriting and likely for them to move on without useful information.

G

Thank you "onlooker". That's exactly what I feel too, I just wasn't able to express it as nicely. :)

G

Quoting from introduction page:
"The very popular PhD Forum contains all sorts of questions and answers about applying for and carrying out PhD research. Please don't use it to ask for funding for yourself, these postings never get answered and get in the way of some useful information."

G

however here nobody asked for funding for themselves, only how other people got one.

G

Thank you another student, Marie & onlooker! At last!!

G

so...how this all thing has got anything to do with PhDs?Is it useful anyhow?

G

Yes.

G

I agree that people from outside the Uk need somewhere to help find funding, but they should not use this board as a place to 'apply' but to find useful information on where to apply for it.

G

I think this place is a place of information exchange for PhD students from different countries not only UK. Let's just make the info the most useful as possible and not get angry about such small matters...

G

Cathy, in view of the fact that this is indeed meant to be a place of information exchange, it isn't a small matter at all - that's the whole point!

G

anon just stop it, you said your opinion and other people said theirs. You are getting pathetic. Aren't you mature enough to understand when a something is gone toofar?

G

yes, it is going a bit far isn't it? I'm just frustrated that people don't seem to be able/willing to take on board a simple & valid point. Hang on....aren't you the person with the mature comment about me getting a life?

G

To all in this message board, what I feel is that we all sail in the same boat. Most of them in the PhD message board are either anxious to get admission or worried with their project. It's not necessary that everyone should know everything, so there should be some platform where people can express their query clearly and this one is the best. So I don't feel any of these questions or answers are absurd.

G

I perfectly agree with you STUDENT.

G

Thank You, Rich