Supervisor may be using my work?

B

I completed my phD last year and was lucky enough to have several journal publications to my name. I could have probably had more publications based upon the last few chapters of my thesis but at the time was too focused on getting the thing submited. I've recently discovered that my supervisor has won an award for an article they published, the results of which, look like they have been taken from my thesis. I'm not too happy about this and don't know what to do. Haven't spoke to my old supervisor yet as i'm no longer at uni. Surley I own the copyright to my own thesis and even my old supervisor should have acknowledged this. Any ideas?

R

You were author of your thesis but you may not own the intellectual property to results gained while working in your old lab though. See the legal/research administration dept of your university to discuss with them. This way you'll have all necessary information about IP ownership and legal issues before confronting your supervisor.

R

Unless you're referring to word-for-word plagiarism from your thesis? In which you'd definitely have a case to argue.

Obviously, if the results were previously published anyone can make reference to it. If your supervisor was one of the co-authors in your published paper he/she would have more leeway in presenting those results.

P

I am sorry this happened to you - what a rubbish thing for someone to do. Even if it's not word for word, they still out, of respect and general humaness should have mentioned it to you 1st. Grrrrrrrrr on your behalf.