Teek's word count

A

Hey Teek,

Have some of my words - I've got far too many (think a chapter that is now at 24k and needs to be 15k!!

;-)

B

Quote From teek:

Right, word count now stands at 15,1216, a grand total of 942 words today. It does include references I'm afraid, but given only a few hours were spent specifically on the thesis I'm pretty happy.

Normally footnotes/endnotes would be included in a PhD thesis word count, but not a final bibliography. Not sure which of those you mean by references.

Good luck with the rest of the words. I was too short in my thesis (my department subject expects 80-100K and I came in at 70K), but was reassured by various academics (including the one who is going to be my internal) that it would be ok.

T

Haha, cheers angel, send em over!

I'm not actually that concerned about the word count Bilbo, I'm just using it as a very arbitrary measurement to monitor progress and give myself some motivation. That and the lovely mytomatoes counts. In my subject it's not uncommon for people to submit as low as 40,000 words, so kudos to your 70! I'm sure you'll be fine, examiners would far rather have a concise thesis than a hefty one full of waffle!

ok, as I've said on my accountability thread, I am going to keep a record of my tomatoes and word count so here goes.

Today so far

Word Count: 0

My Tomatoes: 0

:$

A

Quote From angelofthenorth:

I've got far too many (think a chapter that is now at 24k and needs to be 15k)!!

Well, I got halfway through chapter last night and have got it down to 20,991, which is progress. Going to try and shave off another couple of thousand this morning.

B

Quote From teek:

I'm sure you'll be fine, examiners would far rather have a concise thesis than a hefty one full of waffle!

Thanks! Yes that's what my supervisor said, which was very reassuring :p

T

Quote From sneaks:

ok, as I've said on my accountability thread, I am going to keep a record of my tomatoes and word count so here goes.

Today so far

Word Count: 0

My Tomatoes: 0

:$

Don't worry sneaks, I got off to an ok start but my brain is flagging already. How Sue does her 20 tomatoes without cerebral fluid leaching from her ears I cannot fathom, I'm overloaded after 3.....

T

Six tomatoes and 605 words so far, time for lunch I think.
Now the real question is whether I drive to the shop to buy flour for pancakes, it is pancake day, after all ;-)

T

Right, time to rescue my own thread and get my nose to the grindstone. I'm a bit ropey today, probably because I attempted to burn the midnight oil until half 2 this morning clocking up more tomatoes. But I promised myself I'd cut down the morning faffing. Word count is now back down to 15,060 courtesy of some biiig cuts, and my aim for today is to finish at least two sections of my introduction.

So, by the power of mumra!

M

Trying to do the same thing this week Teek. Morning faffing is a pain! Best of luck with tomatoes and word count!

C

This is a really good idea for a thread, I'd like to join if that's ok. I keep getting writer's block which is really annoying me - got absolutely nothing written yesterday. But I'm determined to make up for it today, just going to write and not worry too much about how it sounds. Am aiming to add 1000 words to my current chapter today. :-)

T

That's a great target catnap! And a great name, oh how I could do with a little nap now....

T

Hmm, quite a bit of faffing today (but I did finally get those pancakes :-) ) Today I want to finish the first draft of my introduction and lit review, ready to hit those experimental chapters next week. With a bit of luck and a following wind that could see me submitting my drafted first three chapters a good few weeks ahead of schedule! Time to grab those tomatoes.

S

======= Date Modified 18 Feb 2010 10:13:00 =======
Well, here I am.

Not a bad week at all. I managed to write around 700 words on Monday, and similar count for Tue and Wed. Today I didn’t do any writing. I had a meeting with my supervisor and ended up editing and working on draft.

Tomorrow will get back to writing.

Good to hear you ahead of schedule Teek..keep going -:)

Happy writing

T

Thanks Sally :-)

And well done on your word count, that's great if you can make such consistent progress (up)