Teek's word count

T

Bleurgh.
I finished my first draft intro/lit review chapter but suspect its mince and am struggling to get into the methodology section that I planned for this afternoon. Every day really is such a roller coaster just now - far too much time to think I suspect!

922 today, my most in about 2 months! I am going to have dinner and then hopefully try and come back to the PC and at least TRY and put a plan together for my writing tomorrow. I am hopelessly behind - going to have to do results over the weekend and then cry to my sup and ask for a few more days for discussion I think, which is going to look really bad, but running out of time!

T

Woo-hoo, well done sneaks!
I think I broke the 1000 today. But I'm a little short on my tomato tally and I'm scared that letting myself off that hook will start a trend. I really want to go and vegetate but I think I need another hour at the coalface/laptop *sigh*

I find my tomatoes a bit restrictive with writing and its more useful for non-writing tasks- I find that the bell rings, just as I have got into the feel of the paragraph. Any ideas?

I will have another go at using it today and see how it goes.

T

I know what you mean sneaks, it's good for getting me started but tends to go off far too soon. I just ignore it, work through the break and then take a longer one after say two tomatoes (apart from anything I'm physically incapable of a five minute break, too short even to make tea!). Mainly I just like the encouragement of logging my progress so I can see that I'm getting somewhere.

I could do with that encouragement today, I'm so sleepy and the thesis just seems impenetrable.

M

I do the same with working through the breaks, it's really helpful. Or sometimes I finish the thought I'm on, let my mind drift for a few mins, stare out the window and then continue on :) I can't even imagine being able to write 200 words a day on my thesis so well done all of you!

1,340 so far today. But I need to do at least another 1000 to get this section done aaaargh!

M

well done Sneaks! Keep it up! You'll feel great when you have it finished.

A

Well done everyone.

I'm working in the opposite direction and have now managed to trim my mammoth chapter from over 24k down to 19,555.

:-)

just added another 680. My sup told me to write too much, as "its easier to cut out than to add in" - HA I think she is going to super regret saying that. My intro is now about 4000 words - this is for a publication, where the word limit for the whole things are usually about 6000. mwahahahahaha. One more section to do - and then I have to critique it all :-(

T

Today is likely to be low on words, I'm mosly doing analysis (which I thought I'd done before, but upon writing up it seems utterly inadequate) and making some figures. I feel rather like Alice, lost in a maze of genetic code and oversized diagrams. Luckily my cat is more cute than cheshire.

T

Argh. No words for several days as I've been redoing analysis and getting called into work to mop up a doctor's confusion - as if I wasn't busy enough?

Today's plan: Draw up a firm outline for this chapter
Write the methods section
Perform any remaining analyses
Stop looking for yet more analysis options!

T

Last week was mostly a loss due to home life distractions, and I've started to fear that my initial motivation has puttered out pathetically :-s I really want to get this chapter drafted up before I go to visit family on Thursday, it's perfectly doable if I just get my arse in gear.

*thinks positive*

M

I lost last week too and it's hard getting back into the swing of things. though as the radio told me this morning - today is the first day of the rest of your life. What's done is done. Draw a line in the sand and just go from here. rooting for you!

T

Thanks Mathkitty, I seem to be having an utterly crap day so it's much appreciated.
I was making such good progress for a while, now I just seem to be consumed by anxiety and all it's baggage. My notes look like meaningless squiggles and I have the concentration span of a gnat. I must work and yet I can't seem to. Note to self - shut up and get on.