Thank god I quit my PhD .

D

I quit my PhD in my second year in February 2013, I had already completed 18months of it. I managed to get a job, same as I was doing before I quit it to start my PhD. I love my job and I have gained my confidence back. It didn't take me long to get a job, I started applying early January and by end of January had a lot of offers to choose from. My dad always says I am known for getting jobs lol....Its the best decision I ever done quitting my PhD. I was very unhappy doing my PhD mainly because of an unreasonable supervisor. I am thriving in my job and at the same time earning descent amount of money. I wanted to let you know that they is light at the end of the tunnel. Quitting your PhD is not the end of the world, when one person does not believe in your capabilities you will find someone that will.Although I fought to be downgraded to an MPHIL instead of just leaving completely, I am going to decline the MPHIL offer as I already have an MChem which is the same as the MPHIL and wish to pursue a different part from my phd. Keep your head up people, Life, Happiness, Love....all the best.

D

Hi derose,

good to hear you are much happier now!

Doing a PhD (even if everything is perfect) is a massive tasks that sucks the life out of you (now I know). I spend a large part of my day alone, writing up is a solitary activity. I don't mind it, but I can understand why some people would find it unbearable, as it is depends on personality.

And everybody knows it, PhDs have ups and downs.... Money is not great and the prospect of work is limited.

The relationship with a supervisor can also make a difference, as it can be motivating or disastrous.

In any case, peace and love! All the best, and make the most out of your time :)

Hi Derose, thanks for letting us know how it has all gone. It sounds like this was absolutely the right decision for you...nice to hear a positive end to your present postgrad journey. Good luck with job, life and future plans and goals,

P.