The One Goal Thread

S

Very well done Button!

I hope everyone is well. I only stopped by briefly as I thought today was Batfink's interview. I may have gotten the wrong date but just wanted to say good luck to you, Batfink!

Quick update from me, work has slowed down quite a bit as I've not been well recently. I'm feeling a bit better now so will slowly get into the swing of things. I'm taking it easy mostly so the only goal for today is to do some reading to edit my methodology chapter.

E

Hi all! It's good to read that lots of other people are working on their theses and I am not alone!

Well, yesterday I didn't manage to finish editing my literature review chapter. So, I MUST finish it today! And that's my goal!!!!!

Good luck everyone!

N

Good afternoon everyone... I managed to get some transcribing done yesterday, but then my (very efficient) supervisors emailed me with feedback on the chapter I submitted on Monday, and so I went through that. Also had to write a report for my progress review meeting next Monday. Feeling slightly better about that now as they had some good things to say about the chapter, but still in limbo to be honest.

Today I'm on campus after a delay-ridden train journey and working on the feedback from my literature review. Aiming to get halfway through today, and restructure using subheadings.

Also, what are your opinions of using subheadings for the literature review chapter? I've used them before then been told to take them out, but now I'm being told to use them again so I probably should. Have read another literature review that is very similar to mine and it is full of them, literally every 500 words which makes it seem a bit disjointed. Someone else has advised that I use them for now and then take them out when I submit the thesis. I'm just not sure to be honest, although I think they would help.

I hope you got your literature review edited Emma, and that Button is having some time off after her week of editing!

S

Hello everyone!

Natassia, I use subheadings whenever I can as I find it helpful. In the lit review, I used them to slowly focus on the topic of my research and to ensure the text flows if that makes sense.

I hope you managed to finish your lit review yesterday Emmaki.

I'm not able to spend a lot of time on the thesis today as had some chores to do and I'm also seeing the midwife soon but I have been able to get a few bits done and still have some time left before setting off. I'll just do a bit more reading for my methodology and that will be me for the day.

L

Hi all, I've been out at a meeting this morning and only just got back so thought I'd check in with you all! I've used subheadings in my literature review Natassia, for the same reason as Skig, to focus the discussion or signpost.

I'm not going to be doing much in the way of writing this afternoon so I'm going to use it to catch up on some reading which I haven't had a chance to do for ages. Hope everyone is ok and having a good day (up)

B

Hi everyone,

I haven't been here for about one week, it was a busy week for me. Milestones toward December have been set up by my sup and I, which make me realize how much further work I need to do.

A little can go a long way, my goal today
1. code: sort out data. (1tm)
2. code: compute B_j(t) (2tm)
3. code: compute emission components (2tm)
4. test: hypothesis testing(2tm)
5. code: add random initial guess (2tm)

Hope everyone makes good process with your theses

L

Good morning all,

Welcome back Benyaya, hope you get on well with your goals. I have a number of things on my to-do list but today I'm going to focus on the following:

1. Finish making initial amendments to Chapter 2
2. Type up minutes from yesterday's meeting (should be interesting)
3. Work on a talk I am giving on Monday

That's quite enough I think, one goal at a time!

Hope you all have a good day!

N

Good morning, the first thing I have to do is write the dreaded email about going part-time to my supervisors. Really quite nervous about doing this, even though I know it is sensible.

Next goal is to type up a few pages of handwritten notes I made whilst reading yesterday, then back to work on editing my literature review.

Have a good day everyone :-)

L

You'll be fine Natassia, you're doing what is best for you and for the PhD so don't worry! Good luck with it anyway!

I've achieved Goal 1, so I'm now working on Goal 2 which I want to get finished before lunch. I too am dreading the email I have to write with the notes but I'm determined that I'm just going to get on with my PhD and get it finished, by hook or by crook!

Hope everyone's having a good day!

L

Goal 2 completed, now for some lunch! (turkey)

N

======= Date Modified 14 Sep 2012 14:06:00 =======
Have had a reply from one of my supervisors, she usually acts as a spokesperson from the team so I might not hear from the others. She was very supportive, which is a relief! Just had lunch and been to check on the horse, so going to type up the notes now.

L

That's good news Natassia, you can relax now! I've now finished all of my goals for today thankfully so I'm going to have a little bit of a longer break now as I literally only stopped for 20 mins to have lunch earlier and then use this afternoon to do some more reading.

Hope you have a great weekend, catch up with you next week!

Hello everyone! My internet connection's playing up and keeps crashing this page, so I haven't managed to read back to see what you've all been up to this week - hope it's all gone well!

I had my job interview on Tuesday, and didn't get the job :-( I'm disappointed, but the way they were talking in the interview about the role made it pretty clear from the start that I wasn't the person they were looking for. Oh well, the interview was a useful experience, both for future job applications and as a mini practice viva! Lots to think about. And at least I don't have to start that job on 1st October and somehow complete my PhD in my 'spare' time!

Off to Helsinki for a conference on Tuesday, so this week I've just been preparing for that. More of the same today and over the weekend.

Hope it's all going well for everyone!

L

Their loss Batfink, good to see you back! How exciting that you're off to Helsinki! Hope you have a great time (up)

B

Hi everyone,

Linda, thanks a lot. I feel this post makes me more motivated, feel Im not alone. Natassia, I wonder what part-time PhD life will be? Under the pressure both of work and PhD, will it be more challenging? Good luck with part-time PhD life. Batfink, Helsinki looks pretty in the picture. Have nice day there.

I have just failed to appeal a parking ticket. The tail part of my car was along with the 'no parking' pole, and got $60 tickets. Parking is a nightmare here in the city. Try to focus on work.

My goal today,
1. code: compute H. (3tm)
2. code: sampling from model. (3tm)
3. test: compare estimated parameters with model parameters .(1tm)
4. code: add random initial guess. (2tm)

Have a nice weekend, ladies.