The One Goal Thread

S

Hi all

Welcome to the thread Gary_Scientist.

Thank you, Linda. Feedback wasn't awful but I need to change a couple of major bits in the intro and discussion and very little time eek

Button, I'm so impressed with you doing the Xmas shopping already! I'm not even thinking about it yet.

My one goal for today is to amend the intro. But before I do that, I need to work out what's happening with my laptop as it's playing up a bit!

L

Morning all,

I know the feeling well Skig, lots to do and not much time to do it in, just approach it one thing at a time and you'll be fine! I'm just carrying on with my list of corrections, I'd like to get at least another 4 done today if not more.

Hope you all have a good day!

G

Thanks Lindalou83! I am planning to 1) perform PCR for 5 exons 2) order some primers 3) run gel 4) if time permits go ahead with exosap.

S

Thanks Linda! How are you feeling anyway? Better, I hope?

I'm starting earlier than usual today as I need to finish all the revisions by the end of the day so hopefully I'll have the energy to do it all. Fingers crossed.

Goals for the day:
1) Finish amending intro
2) Amend discussion/conclusion
I also need to make proof read the remainder of the journal article but as this is a much easier task, I'll do it whenever motivation levels are starting to drop.

Have a good day everyone!

N

Morning all, hope you're feeling better Linda and welcome Gary!

Today I want to finish the amendments on my literature review chapter from one supervisor, and then get started on the amendments from the second supervisor if I have time. Think it will be a long day, and I'm all alone in the office on campus today, unlike most PhD areas we seem to have too many desks for only a few students!

L

Thanks Skig and Natassia, yes I'm feeling better thank you, a bit groggy but definitely better than I was. It's taking me ages to work through this one correction though which is really annoying! I hope you're all having successful days so far! :-)

B

======= Date Modified 20 Sep 2012 13:30:09 =======
Hi all,

I've been avoiding this thread (and doing ridiculous things like Christmas shopping in September!) because I've been struggling to get going again with starting a new journal article after handing a first full draft of my thesis in to sup. I've realised over the years that I have a MAJOR issue with starting a new task; lots of anxiety etc, which is very unlike me! This means I procrastinate for days and days not knowing where to start, but once I get going everything is always fine!

So anyway, I rang hubby in tears this morning because I've had a bit of bad news recently (nothing serious) but together with not being able to get into my work, it just got a bit too much for me! So hubby (being the lovely man he is) cheered me up as usual and I am proud to say that I've actually got cracking with my journal article yippee! Unfortunately hubby doesn't know that my next procrastination was going to be to make a homemade steak and ale pie...looks like he isn't getting one for tea as he just encouraged me to work, don't think he'll be happy when I tell him!

My first goal was to get my head around what I actually want the journal article to be about, and I did this by writing the 150 word abstract which has made everything so much clearer! Not a lot, but a good start. So my goals for the rest of the day are;

-write methodology section of article (shouldn't take long)
-start findings/discussion section of article using chapter from thesis

Sorry for the waffling post, had to get that out of my system! Sounds like you are all cracking on- well done!

L

Hi Button,

I think we're all guilty of procrastinating on one thing or another, and it is daunting when you have to start a new project, but it's great that you've taken that first step of writing the abstract! I wouldn't tell your hubby about the pie either, what he doesn't know won't hurt him, hehe!

I've managed to get six things ticked off of my to-do list, hooray! So I am now going to get some lunch then spend the afternoon doing some reading or something - I'm still struggling to look at the screen for too long after having sinus pain so I'm going to rest my eyes. Hope you're all getting on well!

S

Button, like Linda says, we all procrastinate at some point. Don't be too harsh on yourself. We all work differently and it sounds like, even with your procrastination, you manage pretty well or you wouldn't have been able to hand a draft of your thesis in already.

I'm glad you're feeling better Linda. Well done on your productive day.

My day hasn't been too bad. I just need to finish the discussion/conclusion. I'm struggling a bit as I'm not too sure about some of the revisions required. But after a couple of hours thinking/planning I think I've got it. I'll just write and email them. They know my situation and I'm unwilling to push myself to do too much at this stage.

L

Hello,

Not been here for a while (mostly because I've been doing lab work and just saying "doing some experiments" doesn't seem very interesting for anyone else :p ) so I hope everyone's work is going ok.

I'm having a bit of a panic because I've realised I only have just over 6 months until I should be handing in and I still have a lot of experiments I want to get done. Finishing in time has never looked more terrifying. Trying to organise all of my old experiments so I can start writing as I go. I think I need a poster with "Don't Panic" written on it in large, friendly letters!

B

hi everyone,

Linda, hope you feel better now. Button, as Linda and Skig said, you have already done quite good. As a huge procrastinator, I can tell the difference btw relaxation and recharging after hard work and real procrastination. Btw, what a healthy way of procrastination by X'mas shopping, making cakes, cleaning house, my way is surfing the internet....Labpixie, I feel kinda same as you, writing 'my goal is to do some coding, debugging, testing' everyday, which might not seem interesting to others. my goal today is to reorganize the code for general models into code for a specific model. Have a good day everyone.

E

Hello all!
It is really nice to see that everyone is doing a lot of work (between waves of procrastination, but the result counts!!!!!!)
I did not do any work today, as I had to go to the doctor because of a thing like a cyst that appeared near my heel. The I had to go to a dermatologist to tell me what that was. And then back to the surgeon again, to arrange when to have it removed... So, I spent most of my afternoon in doctors....
And now I am not in a mood to work....

Well...tomorrow is another day!

S

Labpixie and Benyaya - please don't let the lack of diversity on your daily tasks stop you from posting. I think we all know that the phd is a loooong process and some things take longer than others plus we can get stuck with things that can take ages to resolve ;)

Emmaki - get well soon! I hope you get it all sorted soon enough!

I've literally just finished my journal article. Not great but at least it's done. I'm off to have a shower and then read my book before going to bed. Good night all!

B

Yes, everyone please keep posting about your tasks! My tasks aren't exciting either, but at least it holds us accountable by posting them here (up)

Emmaki I do hope your doctors visit wasn't too awful, I'm not surprised you couldn't work after that! I hope they are able to remove the cyst soon.

I'm really happy about my progress yesterday; I actually managed to write my abstract, methodology, findings and discussion sections of my journal article! They all need work obviously, but it looks like I'll be able to get a full first draft finished my today. The only interruption is that hubby is taken me out for lunch (which always makes me sleepy and not wanting to do work after it!) and I also need to go to the vets to sort my doggy, and go to Tesco. Quite a few interruptions then hmm!

Goal 1- read through everything written yesterday
Goal 2- write intro/lit review section

Good luck today everyone, think I'll be working a bit tomorrow as well!

S

Morning all!

Oh, Button, what's wrong with your dog? What dog do you have? I hope you manage to get all of your goals done despite the interruptions! Saying that, all work and no fun isn't good for us;-)

I'm awaiting for feedback on the journal article today but have to run some errands as well (post office, local library and Tesco) so I might just do these now whilst I'm awaiting. Everything going according to plan, I should be able to go back to my methodology chapter in the afternoon.

Have a productive day everyone!