To all Oct 2011 PhD students

======= Date Modified 06 Oct 2011 03:27:53 =======
I'm just starting my DEd (Research), rather than PhD but am still uncertain as to whether to transfer it over to the PhD (I can do either really). For the moment it doesn't really matter-its a doctorate.

I have officially begun getting my head around the Master's lit review-literature and seeing what has been published since the MEd thesis submission. A fair few things it seems!! :) As doctorate is an extension of MEd-I need to get myself up to date I think!

I'm a part-time student and so am sorting out my boundaries between the demands of work, of home and of research and study. Thanks for the thread podge and Walminski, I loved your post.

Cheers:-)

D

I started mine this week..I had to do Uni registration etc..

I already "touched" the base and meet new people including my supervisor. The people seem nice and hardworking. Somehow excited to fully improved my research proposal soon.

goodluck to us!

dx

T

Well started my PhD this week... I must say it’s been a very up and down week so far!

I am finding it really hard being the newbie, having come from a job where I knew pretty much everything and everyone, it’s very difficult coming into a lab and office where I know absolutely nothing and no one! I am also finding it hard to remember that whilst I, (after having been a manager for 4 years), know how to make people feel welcome, ensure they understand what they are doing and obtain any help they need, PhD students have no knowledge of this!

It’s like whilst everyone is really nice and approachable, what I really need is someone to show me what on earth I should be doing!

I know that everyone feels this way and I know I will be ok in a few weeks but that doesn’t make it any easier right now...

Anyway, home for the evening now, to a weekend of a lot of reading around the subject so I don’t feel quite so stupid on Monday morning!

B

Hi Everyone,
I hope it's not too late to join you!

I started last week, and it's off to a weird start; I don't feel like I'm doing enough, and I'm wasting an awful lot of time faffing around (being on this site is a prime example!). I am reading lots, and taking some notes, but I feel like I should be doing more? Do you think this is normal??

I haven't met too many other students on campus yet...unfortunately, though my department tries hard to promote a research community, the reality is that most PhD students work from home. I don't mind that, but when I am struggling a bit like I am now, I worry about the isolation.

Anyway...hope your first weeks went well!!

Thought I'd share my 'tale of woe' since last post. Came back to work and life from a conference feeling fantastic, having met with lots of encouragement. Found a seconded position offered as a practitioner education lecturer at my university and applied. Had to tell my senior senior management as the position was 'seconded' and my present employer still owns me.

Thought I might at least make a short list or interview (so might be good for experience even if I didn't get it). Employer thought I would get it (their own opinion not mine) so they had a big chat about it amongst themselves and spread it around that I had applied. No shortlisting, (brief casual email to let me know this) position withdrawn and upgraded to Associate Professor level (not a hope in hell of that post) and if they can't get a suitable qualified academic in time for this year and then go back to secondment applications, it will be too late in the year for my employer to agree to let me go. Ah well.

I did,however, apply to have my EdD transferred to PhD before my official commencement on Monday and they seem to think that that particular application is probably going to be fine. So early next week, I will find out.

However, after the let down of the previous exciting possibility of academic work, I'm almost at the 'who cares' point. It is not a big thing and my employers are pretty happy I'm staying but I had built up my hopes a bit, I think and thought that this was the start of a new phase in my career. Oh well...will keep with my present job (a good one and I am grateful that I have it-don't get me wrong) and will keep working away at part-time studies-maybe in a couple of years, with some more hard work, there will be a similar opportunity.

P

Hi everyone,

I just started my PhD, too. Very slow beginning - just an induction and a couple of evening lectures. My main supervisor is away at the moment, so I'm meeting the supporting one (who I already know from MA) on Monday. Maybe that's when the pressure will switch on - a feeling that I quite welcome, as I'm finding it hard to know where to start in a way.

Glad to be doing it, though, and full of excitement about how much project will evolve over the coming months!

PPx
(p.s. fyi - I'm another f/t worker, p/t phd-er, so that's also why the slow start I guess)

H

Had my first formal meeting today with both supervisors. Drew up some great objectives and they really pushed me - in a supportive way - to define my concepts and questions. I now feel like I have a real direction and something to aim towards, literally in the form of several pieces of work they'd like me to do for next term. I feel a bit less aimless now, and I can focus on particular areas.

They also encouraged me to put down the theory and go straight into the archives, which took me by surprise but I'm excited to hit the manuscripts so no bad thing.

They were both very supportive and told me to drop in for a cup of coffee any time I'd like. Great experience so far!