To EdD or not to EdD that is the question!

F

So...hello all. I'm looking for a bit of advice really. I'm in a position where I think I would like to apply for the EdD that is offered at Exeter University. It's 6 year part time and I would need to continue teaching secondary history full time in order to fund it.
I am really after advice about the workload. I know noone who has done a doctorate part time so I haven't really got a reference point. I was wondering if anyone here has complete the EdD whilst working and how they found it alongside their jobs.
Thanks in advance
feelingfestive

Hi, I'm doing a PhD part-time while being a full time teacher and the Middle School curriculum coordinator at my school. It is hard but it is also possible. You have to use your holiday time really effectively and really pace yourself through various work tasks for both your work and the doctorate. Ive just finished two of the mandatory course work units for the Concurrent Grad Research Certificate that we have to do -so our degree is four years or eight years part time, but I think I will take around 6 to do it.

There are times when you will think you are absolutely crazy but when you achieve a chapter, or create an article or just have a really comprehensive understanding of an issue that comes from the study and impacts on your work as a professional, you will remember why you are doing it. Good luck. I think you will find that there are a few of us and most will say it is difficult but really worthwhile.

F

Hi Pjlu
THank you so much for your reply. I'm certainly expecting it to be hard work but I didn't want to overface myself so much that I made my life and doing my job properly impossible.
By the sounds of it, it is worth doing so I think I'm going to go for it! All I need to do now is convince my school that they would really like to fund it!

Thanks again
feelingfestive

P

hey festive,

in which area specifically do u intend to do the EdD? t's doable to finish your EdD within 3 years part time, but u have to be really focused in your research. for instance, it's more cost effective to outsource the data collection part to reliable undergrads instead of doing it your own. blog's a great way to speed up ur research by writing bit by bit everyday and then assembling it on one day. u can also save time by asking for advice from experts in that area prior to beginning your research. this way, u can zoom precisely into what u need without the inclination to deviate. there's a bunch of ways to save time in research. if u apply the best practices of research consistently, u can graduate the same time as the full time student insyaAllah.

Because the EdD is a professional doctorate the vast majority are designed as part-time doctorates for professionals who continue to work in and research their profession, often at senior level. With an EdD you will probably find that study schools are arranged for school holidays - Pjlu is spot on about using holiday time to the maximum!