to quit or not to quit

A

So i started my phd in economics about 8 months ago. I have 3 supervisors. Two of them i have been calling and emailing for the past month cos i want to show them what i have done so far, but they have not replied yet. I find it extremely rude and i am starting to think that they are not bothered at all or they might have lost interest in my topic. In this PhD i am not required to attend any classes or to teach, etc. With such supervisors, i think i have started to lose interest. I am very very angry.
I have turned out great jobs abroad just because i wanted to do my PhD, but with no replies i think...i need to drop it? Or maybe apply for another PhD in another University? :-s

D

Tricky one. One very good bit of advice I can give you is if you are funded don't quit without having a job to go to as it's tough out there. I completed a PhD with very little feedback (and I mean very, very little feedback) but it was soul destroying. However, it can be done.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

A

There are no tuition fees for PhDs in my country. I am thinking...what if the supervisor has just lost interest in me or my research and he is just a jerk and doesn't tell me?
Is it a common problem, supervisors who do not reply or can not be bothered?

D

Some people have fantastic supervisors and others don't. My advice to anyone about to start a PhD would be to try and find out about their supervisor but sadly, like me, you are learning about your supervisor after starting your PhD.

W

Have you established a friendly relationship with any other staff members at your uni? You might ask them about your two absent supervisors and see if that is just who they are... always busy and out there in the mental cloud field. Consider talking (to other staff and/or the missing supers) before acting on something, it helps solve problems in a more friendly manner.

Hi Appleleaf, I have four people on my 'team' and two supervisors but there is only one who I really interact with at present. She is the actual supervisor in term's of practicalities. The others are there if there are issues or during review periods, etc. As I am only three months in, I have yet to meet them. You mentioned three supervisors and two who are not communicating. They might be like my other supervisor and people on my team. Essentially silent witnesses who only step in if there is an issue. Just a thought...