Twitter

B

It also shows up in Safari and Google Chrome on my Mac.

Sorry folks - we'll try to get this sorted on Monday morning.

In the mean time why not follow us on Twitter - they don't seem to be having any problems.

A

I'll have a look on my mac in the morning... It is supposed to be a grey block across the bottom that stays there but I'll have a look on mac firefox, safari, chrome and opera. Might be monday before I can get a fix though I'm afraid

A

Oh, evening Andy.

B

It is a grey block that stays there on my Mac, but it's taking up a lot of room. My desktop has a 800x600 screen for disability reasons, and this is using up too much of it.

A

Hi guys,

I've checked this on my macbook in the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari and I am not seeing anything unusual. Is it something that is looking like it shouldn't or is it that you just dont' like the fact that it is not moving with the page?

A

I'm with Internet Explorer and the line of text which was lying on top of thread text is gone. The grey block at the bottom of the screen takes a bit of getting used to, a bit off-putting really. It does take up a fair bit of room for what's in it but I guess we'll get used to it.

S

Quote From adam:

Hi guys,

I've checked this on my macbook in the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari and I am not seeing anything unusual. Is it something that is looking like it shouldn't or is it that you just dont' like the fact that it is not moving with the page?

I still have it... It says: 'Add This Page To Your Social Networking Sites' and then there are icons for Facebook, Twitter and Google+ (I think). I can only see it when I'm inside a thread. All my software is up-to-date (even have Lion on my mac), so not sure. I can send you a screenshot if you want to.

A

Yes the grey bar with the social network links at the bottom that stays there when you scroll is how it should look. Previously there was problems with the bar not appearing but the text appearing over the top of the thread.

B

I read the forum on my iPod touch as well and the bar is a particularly big problem there. It appears part way down the window and will not move as the screen is scrolled. So it stays still and obliterates some lines of the forum text, which I then can't read.

I really hate this bar. You're probably getting that :)

Can you just put it in a box on the right hand side near the advert banner?

A

I'll relay your concerns to the webteam on Monday but I'm afraid in the meantime you'll have to bear with it... I noticed the iPhone/iPod touch issue too

S

What I really don't get is, why the postgradforum needs its users to tweet or facebook share threads/posts. It's an anonymous forum...

(Btw, I'm really not against twitter and facebook, but I'm against having it shoved into my face where it's really not needed. Anyone any thoughts on this?)

A

I agree with that view SBCC. I too am not against Facebook or Twitter but don't do either so probably am in the relative minority on that one. The forum is enough for me for the moment. Tbh I don't fancy anything I have written going out to a wider audience even though I am always pretty careful not to disclose too much:p.

I agree, there was a facebook group ages ago, but I never joined because I use this forum anonymously (although I reckon if anyone does know me its obvious) - anyway, I don't want comments I make about how lazy I am being linked to my facebook profile so people can link the info.

I guess they want it more for the job search aspect of the website?