Unemployed

A

I was wondering how things were going for you job-wise Delta - fingers crossed something comes good for you soon (up)

C

I'm not Delta, but thought I should comment as I was also one of the unemployed lot when this thread started.

Well, after working for my PhD sup unpaid for several months, he's given me a job for 6 months. This is my 3rd week :-)

Good luck everyone, and I'll probably be back in May :$

D

Fantastic news Claudia, well done!!! I hope I join you in getting a job soon!

S

Well done Claudia!

That's good news Delta. I'm finding that looking for a job in my area is almost impossible when working full-time and still dealing with uni stuff (e.g. revising, writing for publication, etc) so it's great that you can dedicate yourself to the priorities in life;-) I hope you get a job soon. Good luck!

D

Just received a rejection email today (not even offered an interview) but at least they got in contact. In for about 6 other jobs at the minute.

A

That's tough Delta; I applied for loads and loads of jobs, most of which I never heard back from. It's pretty demoralising I know. At least with the ones you actually get a rejection for, you can cross off your list. Have you asked for feedback from any of them? Although, to be honest I did this with a few but the feedback wasn't worth much - "with the volume of applications..." blah blah blah.

Fingers crossed one of the six will come good (up)

D

Thanks Ady. I think there's little point in asking for feedback because I think a lot of these posts are just advertised for the sake of it.

C

rather than start a new job hunt thread thought I'd bump this one..............

To the people who interviewed me this week..........................PLEASE JUST GET ON AND LET ME KNOW! I had three post doc interviews this week and just want the waiting to be over! Interviews 1 and 2 were with the same PI and went quite well, interview 3, well the less said the better!

D

I know the waiting is frustrating. My fingers are crossed for you. I've just been shortlisted for interview for one post (can't come soon enough) but not getting my hopes up!

A

oooh, good luck Delta and Catalinbond - fingers (and toes) crossed for you both.

D

Just received word, not even shortlisted for a research assistant post! I'll keep trying.

C

Sorry to hear that Delta. I didn't get shortlisted for an RA job a couple of months ago either. Hopefully more will come up next year.

D

Thanks for the support. A bit disappointing but I'm not taking it personally and see it more as a sign of the times.

A

That's too bad Delta, sorry to hear that. You're right not to take it personally although it's tough getting those rejection emails. You will get something, and hopefully soon. You have your PhD albut under your belt, save those minor corrections. Willing good thoughts your way (up)

S

Quote From Mackem_Beefy:

Quote From starshine:

Sorry to gatecrash your thread Delta, I hope you dont mind. I was just wondering; my 3 years of funding is due to finish in January by which time I am hoping to have finished my lab work and have written the majority of my first draft. I am intending to start looking for a job straight away as I have no savings to survive on. Therefore I was planning on claiming JSA from January as I have a loan that I am paying off. I am living with my boyfriend at the moment in a flat we share, and he is happy for at least a few months to pay the rent and bills while I finish and get a job, but we think at the most we could manage for 3-6 months on his one income and (hopefully) my JSA. However, from some of the threads I have read it seems that my boyfriend's income will prevent me from claiming JSA, can someone confirm that this is correct? If so, I'm guessing my only option will be to move back in with my parents, and hopefully claim JSA untill I find a job? Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Thanks guys

I'm afraid you're correct as you'll be cohabiting.  You would be okay on your own or living with your parents.  The rules for claiming Job Seeker's Allowance in the UK are clear on that.

Sorry!!!

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

Sorry to gatecrash again, I was just wondering if/when people who's funding had finished signed up for job seekers allowance, did you have to take any evidence to show that your funding had finished, like an official university letter or something? I have the dreaded task of doing this in the New Year (something to look forward to! Or not!) and I just want to be prepared.

Thanks again.