Unemployed

======= Date Modified 13 Dec 2011 19:07:33 =======

Quote From starshine:

Quote From Mackem_Beefy:

Quote From starshine:

Sorry to gatecrash your thread Delta, I hope you dont mind. I was just wondering; my 3 years of funding is due to finish in January by which time I am hoping to have finished my lab work and have written the majority of my first draft. I am intending to start looking for a job straight away as I have no savings to survive on. Therefore I was planning on claiming JSA from January as I have a loan that I am paying off. I am living with my boyfriend at the moment in a flat we share, and he is happy for at least a few months to pay the rent and bills while I finish and get a job, but we think at the most we could manage for 3-6 months on his one income and (hopefully) my JSA. However, from some of the threads I have read it seems that my boyfriend's income will prevent me from claiming JSA, can someone confirm that this is correct? If so, I'm guessing my only option will be to move back in with my parents, and hopefully claim JSA untill I find a job? Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Thanks guys

I'm afraid you're correct as you'll be cohabiting.  You would be okay on your own or living with your parents.  The rules for claiming Job Seeker's Allowance in the UK are clear on that.

Sorry!!!

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

Sorry to gatecrash again, I was just wondering if/when people who's funding had finished signed up for job seekers allowance, did you have to take any evidence to show that your funding had finished, like an official university letter or something? I have the dreaded task of doing this in the New Year (something to look forward to! Or not!) and I just want to be prepared.

Thanks again.

I was never asked for any evidence that my funding had finished. However, you may want to take the paperwork along explaining you're funding arrangements (if you still have this from the beginning of you're PhD) just in case you're asked.

I signed on briefly after my studentship expired and before I took up my first post-doc.

D

Thanks Ady. Just received another 2 rejections today by email but I do appreciate people taking the time to let me know the outcome as I can tick them off my list.

Starshine. I just filled in the relevant sections of the main form and put a side note of when my funding ended. I then had to fill in an additional form at my first jobseekers interview. I made it clear that I was just short of submitting but was in a position to work full-time and was actively seeking employment (which I was and am).

S

Sorry to hear you've not find a job still. Like you said, at least people are letting you know and giving you feedback ;-)

D

Got turned down for another two (on top of the others) yesterday but such is life! I'm not the only one in this boat and at least it gives me time to do the corrections:-)

I hope all is well with you.

D

Just received a rejection letter for the interview I attended but was half expecting it and so I'm OK about it.

A

Sorry to hear that Delta. I got rejection after rejection and then suddenly like buses I got a couple of offers in one week. Hopefully things will happen for you soon (up)

S

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. I'm really hoping you'll get something soon.

By the way, all is well my end, still working in a 'normal' job and trying to find the time to write my article and revise for viva. No dates yet.

D

Thanks Ady and Skig. Hope the viva revision is going well for you Ady. Skig that is so frustrating you haven't got a date yet. In my opinion, it's helpful to have a date to work towards. I feel for you and hope you get a date soon. Keep me updated on how you're getting on.

C

Good luck delta.

D

Thanks chrisrolinski. How did your move go and how is the new job? I hope it was all worth it.

C

A mixed bag. The new country is great and I love being there but the job is a bit of a challenge teaching children as opposed to adults. But enjoyable and stressful. I am working on a book proposal om a topic related to my thesis and hope it is accepted so that I can work on that too! :)

D

There's no holding you back! It's good to know you've settled in well in another country and the book sounds exciting. You took a risk and it seems to be paying off which is great.(up)