Useful links

C

======= Date Modified 14 Jan 2011 20:56:54 =======
======= Date Modified 14 Jan 2011 20:56:02 =======
Great tip on Twitter thanks LB

C

Yes great suggestion Chuff - your right this is a bit clunky and we should really do something a bit more dynamic. Does anyone want to volunteer or suggest whether this is the best software?

C

I don't think I'm the right person (not being particularly IT whizzy) but I do know that delicious may not be the best site, despite being the best site... This is because it's a yahoo site and there's some concern that it's under threat at the moment. So it may be best to go for one of the other alternatives - pinboard is one but it costs... mmm.

Maybe del.icio.us is fine for now but we'd need to know it may not be a forever site.

I

======= Date Modified 14 Jan 2011 23:21:45 =======
======= Date Modified 14 Jan 2011 22:18:17 =======
Hey, I don't know if it's exactly what you want, but I could very easily add a tab to my website, www.indoctorate.co.uk specifically designed for all the useful links that you have given here. Infact I was actually hoping to do something like that anyway. I could keep checking this thread incase anyone adds a new one, people could email the web address or I could add a comments box devoted just for useful links and then update my site accordinly in an organised way as chuff said. What do you all think? If you like I can make up a design and you can tell me if you like it or not. Let me know :-)

C

======= Date Modified 15 Jan 2011 19:23:49 =======
That's a really great offer Indoctorate and may be the best course of action. My gut feeling is that in an ideal world we want something that does not rely on one of us to post the comments but can allow anyone to add the links. A blog normally only enables one person to post and then others just add comments.

Clarabelle is right that we don't want to set up a site that suddenly vanishes - although delicious is quite popular so presumably it will get bought? - another tagging service did disappear overnight and that can happen even if you pay. We are not really in a position as a group to pay for a service?

We could email the people that run this site, e.g. Amy and ask if they can set us up a resource tab here? I can ask Amy and then we can review our options? The delicious benefit that Chuff talked about does potentially make a more dynamic resource. Indoctorate's offer is really generous too. It would be nice to have something that could develop sub-threads with links to related aspects of a doctorate?

Cate

I

Yeah that's a good point. It would be better letting everyone have the ability to update the site. How about setting up a wikipedia page?? That way we can all update it, and organise in the usual wiki format.

I'll do all I can with my page to help out :-)

C

Yes I think a wiki page might be best - we would all need to keep remembering to update it with useful sources

I

Ok, should we all maybe get together on twitter at some point to talk about things like what we will call the article, accounts etc? My twitter username is indoctorate

C

We just need to agree a time and a Twitter tag?

I

How does #phdwiki tomorrow at 7pm sound?

C

======= Date Modified 17 Jan 2011 10:37:45 =======
#phdwiki sounds good - how about going for a few days later in the week so that people get the chance to see the message and join in - is 7pm on Wednesday good for people?

C

I'll try and get there for 7pm Wednesday, although this week is CRAZY for me...!

A

Afraid I don't Tweet and am not on FaceBook, MySpace, blog or any of those modern techno things. This forum is about as advanced as I get. I'm happy to row in with whatever you guys decide. I really like the useful link idea so as long as I know where to point the mouse I'm happy.

Thanks for moving it along :-)

A

I

Wednesday is fine with me :-)

C

Admitting i'm not techy but a wiki page is no better than a list on here is it ?

There must be some favourite website type system, eg delicious type. I know a few techy people have mentioned its not the best but something like that.

I hate being negative about this idea because its fab but i wonder if the way we're going is the right one.

Chuff