Useful links

I

I'm not sure, I just thought if people want all the links in one place that will never disappear and have access to update it, then a wiki page was in a good position to do that. A link on this forum disappears into the abyss unless people comment on it daily. I don't have much experience with the delicious-style websites as I just use my own browser bookmarks. If anyone knows of an online bookmarking site which doesn't have the drawbacks that have been mentioned in the previous comments and is public, then that would probably be a better option.

C

We can have the tweet and run through options? Look forward to seeing all who can make it online tonight.

C

======= Date Modified 19 Jan 2011 19:59:44 =======
So just had a chat with indoctorate on a way forward - all those who want to see tweets search under #phdwiki

We concluded that we cannot predict how this may evolve so let's start it off and see what happens - as or if it takes off we can always migrate to a new tool?

So I will start off a wiki page and indoctorate will start off delicious tagging.

To start with we will try and foster links back to this forum and thread. We may want to rate and discuss resources a bit more - a wiki can be a bit limiting and delete a range of views.

Let's start it off and see what happens but people can either add their links to the new resources once they are up (whichever) or here and for a bit we will try and keep them linked and see what happens?

Indoctorate will also try and publisize with his blog and it would be good it others could do the same.

Hope that all makes sense but as ever feel free to add further thoughts and comments, Thanks to all those who got this idea started great to have people like Chuff and LB having brainwaves!

C

to make it really good we will need lots more link ideas?

C

Nice one Cate and Indoctorate.

I tried to make it but as predicted, things were a bit crazy - had two long meetings and four MA supervision tutorials today so didn't get home til late grrr.

Well done on what you achieved decision-wise, though. I look forward to the wiki page link and the del.icio.us site details (it really is the best option for us, so we must just pray someone sees the light and rescues it from yahoo!) and will link from my blog for definite.

Good stuff, guys!

I

I've started the delicious site which you can view on www.delicious.com/phdbookmark .

The yahoo Id that I have created this with is
yahoo username: phdbookmark
yahoo password: phdlinks

To begin, I have added the links from this thread and kept the tag links very basic and straight forward. I thought it would be better to evolve these with everyones input.

I'm going to attempt to blog about any new additions at www.indoctorate.co.uk , so as cate was saying it would be good if before a link was added we could get some sort of discussion on it first.

I have been quite busy this week so haven't really had too much time to go into it in that much detail on the site, but I thought it was best to atleast keep the ball rolling ...
:-)

C

Well done Indoctorate! I am a bit snowed under at the moment but will hope to get something up and out asap.

A

Thanks Cate and Indoctorate, appreciate all the extra work :-)

I

======= Date Modified 25 Jan 2011 11:31:36 =======
I've set up a page now on my website, http://www.indoctorate.co.uk/p/delicious-phd-bookmarks.html ,where you can find any blogs and threads about previous links. I've also added the delicious account details incase anybody loses this thread :-) and a review of Mendeley using some of the old thread links that I found on this forum.

Did I miss out any interesting links on delicious?

A

Some good links:

To find the name of the journal from the abbreviation: http://www.efm.leeds.ac.uk/~mark/ISIabbr/E_abrvjt.html

To find some E books: www.library.nu

Thats all

I

Quote From ailicec:

Some good links:

To find the name of the journal from the abbreviation: http://www.efm.leeds.ac.uk/~mark/ISIabbr/E_abrvjt.html

To find some E books: www.library.nu

Thanks ailicec! Some of the journal abbreviations can be quite cryptic at times. I've added them to delicious bookmarks.

E

Hi guys, these links are so helpful! Great idea making a website to hold them all in one place.

Quote From LBaines:

Hi

On twitter, there's a hashtag #phdchat and the group gets together on twitter at 19.30 - 20.30 (GMT) on Wednesday evenings focusing on a topic that is voted for ahead of the discussion. It's proving really helpful and useful.

LBaines

There's also this site http://paper.li/tag/phdchat which follows on from the twitter group :-)