Visa/Permanent Resident (PR)/Citizenship?

S

Has any non-UK nationals applied (or any one heard of others applying?) for PR or citizenship while they are doing their PhD in UK? just wondering if it is feasible?
I'm thinking of staying in UK after my 3-year PhD, so am considering the option of settlement here...
any light?

J

If you apply for residency under the highly skilled migrants programme you will be allocated points dependent on your education, earning power etc. Hence, if you have a PhD and publications etc these will enhance your application considerably. Google "highly skilled migrants programme uk" to find out more ...

S

Hubby couldn't get right of residence on the basis of his PhD - had to be working here (in his case as a lecturer). You have to be here for five years before applying for residence and they would only count his paid five years before approving residence (also had to wait for the three years probationary period to come to an end)

Look for a visa and permission to stay first - residency takes more time

J

I just did the HSMP calculator thing and unless you have 2 years of graduate work experience I don't think you'll be able to qualify under HSMP. You'd have to get an employment visa thingy.

S

Thanksss for your replies...

Yup, i dun think i would qualify for the HSMP...
but i was just wondering if my 3 year PhD can count towards the years i need to serve in order to get residency...

so i guess based on SixKitten's experience, i wouldnt have to do anything until i graduate from PhD and get a job in UK rite?