VIVA next week Friday

M

Congratulations, Dr Yellowtreble! :-)

And good luck to those of you who have vivas soon. (up)

M

======= Date Modified 03 Jun 2010 14:32:40 =======
yellowtreble

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
$(up)$(up)$(up)$(up)$(up)$(up)$(up)$(up)$(up)$(up)$(up)
Can you please describe exactly how it went? First question asked? Presentation or not? Then all the questions you can remember. And then the end...
Please more details :

Y

Thanks guys!
So basic run down of the day was go t into my dept about an hour before I was due to go in. Hid in my mates office as my desk had already been re-assigned. Had a cup of coffee and some flapjack, tried not to panic. My supervisor went to lunch with the examiners beforehand, then came and got me when they were ready to start. Told me my external examiner had already started on the wine at lunchtime - which I took as a good thing if the examiner is willing to drink before the exam.

Got in, was introduced to the external who I knew from a conference sort of. Then he started off by just asking what my first degree was in, who I'd done my industrial experience with, who was my supervisor then, why did I continue on to a phd. Then got onto my subject area why I had chosen it, then tested my on my physiology ( i'm in interdisciplinary sciences), checked that I had a good understanding of the organ. Had to draw bits out and label up cells. Then moved onto clinical issues and diseases that weren't in my thesis and the current treatments. Then I was asked where I thought my field was going in the next 20-30 years and the ideal treatments I'd hope would be developed. Then he jumped onto asking for specific papers that I'd read in the last 3 years, best ones, most innovative etc. What I thought of certain groups work - which was a paper I'd scan read the abstract then ignored.:$. Then he jumped to my chemistry bit of the lit review linking the earliest paper to how my work relates.
Then after finishing with the lit review bit they went through each experimental chapter. Literally asked me to summarise what I'd done in each chapter and the key results. He then focused on specific figures which we wanted to discuss and how I'd done various techniques like; describe how you curve fit XPS peaks? So there was some basics that were covered. At some points I was deliberately challenged - i.e. I don't agree that your cells are X I think they are an X cell line.

We had a break after 1.5 hours, so I nipped out to the toilet then got myself a coffee. When I got back in - the external was like we'll only be another 15 minutes. With still 3 chapters to go!!! So I got the same treatment for my final experimental chapter, was asked to summarise the key conclusions from my thesis. All along they pointed out bits that they didn't like - such as figure legends must stand alone independent of the text - please fix this. but mostly formatting.

They then asked me to leave the room for 10 mins so they could discuss the result. So I went next door to my supervisors office to wait. Talked through what I'd been asked. Which seemed to fly by. Then was called in and told the result, after which I was given my thesis copies back from my examiners so that I could go through their corrections. Myexternal made his exit to go catch a train and I was left with the aftermath that was telling my supervisor and breaking the news to my office mates.

Hope that helps, everyones experience is different. But do expect to be totally emotionally drained once you have finished, in need of alcohol and want to crash out by 10 pm.
Hope this helps and best of luck for tomorrow. :-)

S

wow Yellowtreble and others,
thanks for posting. I'm learning a lot from your posts
love
satchi

S

I passed my viva this afternoon :-)

The anticipation was far worse than the actual event!

M

CONGRATULATIONS DOCTOR squiggles!!!!!!!!

I am so so so so so Happy for YOU!!!!!! So it is possible to survive it!

Please tell us more!!! I want to know more!! every details while it is still fresh!!!!

You must be so releived and happy! How long did it last? What was the process? The questions? Did you find the right words?
Any tricky questions?

(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)

B

Congrats Squiggles and Yellowtreble.

Good luck tomorrow, MumPhDStudent!

S

Massive congratulations Dr Squiggles and Dr Yellowtreble - really really pleased for you both - fantastic news!!!!

Best of luck for tomorrow MumPhDStudent (up) I'm sure that I'll log back on tomorrow evening to see you a Dr too 8-)

M

Thank you all for the encouragements,

I am so happy for the two new Docs!
It is nearly 1am and I am still not sleeping, I don't know why...it is a luck the viva is in the afternoon.

I am so so so stressed and want to cry and hide...It is like if my brain is BLANK, EMPTY...I hope what the other said is true that everything will come back during the viva.
I hope it will not last too long and that they won't be to cruel with me :$

Anyway I try to go to sleep, perhaps counting sheeps will help...
Good night all.

A

Congrats Yellow treble and Squiggles!

MunPhDStudent, good luck for your viva today, try not to panic, breathe deeply and remember you did it, so you know it, and you'll be grand! Fingers crossed for you!

M

Thanks algaequeen,

I will try to do my best. Yesterday I had a panic attack so could not sleep and then woke up at 6 am.
I am dead tired but at the same time full of adrenalin.
I try to breath and think of something else but the wait is killing me.

I will try to do one hour of relaxation before leaving the house. Anyway they already probably know the result by now and my
performance will just confirm what they think.
At worst if they give me another year I will have to deal with it and take it. My new baby will probably help me :-)
I will let you know when I come back home before going back to bed...I dream a dream....SLEEPING for 6 months non stop!!!!

I wish you all a very nice day!

S

Good luck today! I'm sure you'll be fine. What time is your viva?

Yesterday during my viva, I found that is wasn't nearly as bad as I expected - the waiting was the worst part! When I went in, I was introduced to the external examiner, who was very nice, so that put me at ease. I then had to speak about my thesis for 10 or 15 mins, just summarising what I'd done and so on. They then started to go through the thesis and ask me questions about various parts. I couldn't answer them all, but they don't expect you to know everything, and they do help you a lot. After almost 2 hours, they were only about half way through the thesis. I was told to go away for a short break, and when I came back (at about 4pm), they said that they'd be finished by 4.30. That was a relief as I thought I'd be there til 6!!

They then asked a few more questions, but they really skimmed over most of the last chapter - to be honest, I don't think they'd read it very thoroughly, and it was so full of technical calculations. I was then told to go away for 10 mins or so, then was called back in and was told I'd passed :-)

I really wouldn't worry about it - it's a lot more pleasant than you think it's going to be!!

Good luck!!

M

My VIVA is at 1.30 pm.
It is nice to hear your description but I cannot find a way not to be stressed, I think I will simply have to survive.
I hope it will be as nice as it was for you.
I will do my best and will let you know at my return.

You must feel so good it is all finished! I know now how you must have felt while getting ready and waiting...
I wonder if I will eat my lunch before going there, I am afraid it will come out with the stress.

Now, will go have a shower, get dressed and leave the house for the dept.

stress, stress and stress....it is funny I feel strange things in my stomach but at the same time it is in a strange place...the pregnancy changed the place of my organs...I hope my brain is still at the same place! LOL!!!

N

I can't remember whether I've posted on this thread yet, but I have been following it. Good luck, and I really hope you post some good news later on, I'll be thinking of you. It must be so difficult to think about when you're so pregnant as well, you must be feeling quite uncomfortable now, without the added stress of a viva. I think you've done brilliantly to get your PhD submitted, hopefully today you'll be able to finish it all off and concentrate on having your baby!
Natassia xx

U

Congrats Squiggles and Yellowtreble. (up)

PhDmum - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!