Voluntary work at proposed supervisors lab

D

Hi,

I am allowed to do voluntary work at my proposed supervisors lab,UK. I am an Indian and got PhD offer place without funding. I am planning to apply for all possible places to obtain fund in UK as well as in India. 
Can anyone suggest me any possible places to search scholarships apart from departmental, university? Since I have no scholarship available for my current PhD offer I kept continuing applying for other places for PhD. Is it correct? Do my volunteer work lab supervisor give me recommendation for other places?

Thanking you

Happy New Year to all!

N

Since you're Indian... I think you can apply for the Commonwealth Scholarschip and Fellowship Programme. My school has both a MSc student and a PhD student who are on this programme. See link : http://www.csfp-online.org/about.html

India is in the list of countries offering the award: http://www.csfp-online.org/countries.html

I don;t see why you can't keep looking for other places that possibly do offer funding. However, asking a potential supervisor for a recommendation for other PhD positions might nog be the best plan, since you might end up under his supervision...

Good luck in the new year!

S

hi Daven
when you say voluntary work are you talking about voluntarily going to work (for money)
because it will be very very very very very difficult to do a phd without funding AND have to work again at the same time

If I were you I would only take this offer if it is really what I want to do;
please do explore other options and look for funded phds (USA, Germany etc.)

it will be easier for you; if you have funding, you will also have peace of mind (when next to pay rent etc.)
best of luck
love satchi

D

Hi Satchi,

Thank you very much for your reply. First of all wishing you a very Happy New Year!!!

Let me explain you my situation. My course is going to start from October 2011. Meanwhile, I had asked my proposed supervisor to work in her lab as voluntarily without pay because I came to UK in the month of November and I am looking for some scientific work either paid or unpaid. As she allowed me to join the lab which I thought may be helpful for my future funding search in which I can show the understanding on my proposed project.
Do this help? Or perhaps, it may help me in search of other paid position in scientific research.
Is this correct to proceed?

D

Hi Nieky,

Thank you for the reply. I had applied for Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Programme when I was in India but unfortunately I am not nominated for interview. This may suggest that the competition is very tough.
I am looking for other places but since as an international student there is limited opportunities available.

I am not sure when the search of finding PhD place ends.

Regards
Nikita 

N

Davenikita2,

The search ends when you find a place... no matter how long it takes! If you really want to do a PhD, anything's possible!