Wait another year a good idea??????

J

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. Last year in 2006 I graduated from uni. Since then I've been working as a temp saving up to do a Masters. It looks like I'm gonna need about £10,000 to pay for tuition fees and accomadation. I'm hoping that next year in 2008 I'll have enough money.
Today I thought about waiting another 2 years before going back (in 2009) as this would give me plenty of time to save up and will mean i won't have to save every penny I earn and can use the excess on other things I want. I would also like to experience the world more and maby travel a bit as well etc. The reason for me posing this is that I'm a little concerned if waiting 3 years after I graduated is too long. Should I try and get back into education as soon as possible or go in my own time?

O

as soon as possible. That's because new things will pop up, like suddenly wanting to buy a house, travelling, having a family or similar, and ultimately they will increase the distance between you and your educational goals as they will eat up all the money. I'd rather do it in 2008 if I were you.

S

Could you apply for a masters that could give you funding?

V

If you can't get funding you might be eligible for a career development loan. I got one to pay for my tuition fees and some of the accommodation. I could not wait 3 years because I’ve got no idea how I’ll feel by then and a masters is only 1 year long, I wouldn’t want to prolong it to 4!

V

i agree with stoll
the longer u wait , more the chances of ur resolve waning

go for it
and if u plan it properly
in almost majority of cases u dont have to pay for the entire course from your hand.

J

Thx alot for the replys. A career development loan is definetly something I'll look into. Although I don't like the idea of owing more money. Another reason for me to wait is that I don't feel at a high enough standard yet to start the course. I got a 2:2 in Physics and want to do Theoretical Physics which I'm expecting to be pretty tough. I've been improving my mathamtical abilities and being a perfectionist is taking a long time. Im thinking its best to wait a bit longer and be fully prepared than risk getting a 2:2 again.

V

Yeah I felt the same so I read about the subject before starting. I wasn't sure what I needed to know until I started the course, so only now I can properly catch up.

Btw a pass for a masters is eqivalent to 2:1 in a bachelors.

S

hi verypoor,
Just had a question to ask, you say that a pass in a masters is equal to a 2:1 in an undergraduate degree, what percentage is this 50-59 % ?, I have a merit in my masters (60+) what is this equal to?

V

Yes 50 - 59% is a pass. I was told a merit is equivalent to a first in an undergrad.

G

At both my Uni's (present and previous) a Distinction at Master's level (70%) is equivalent to a 1st at Undergrad level.

V

Distiniction is above a first at my uni (hence I will never get that).

O

never say never. I had a third for my BA and a distinction for my masters!

S

I have a first for my undergraduate degree so does that mean my merit is equal to this?

H

Apart from applying for funding which is a brillinat idea. There are several other optios you could consider, You could apply for a loan, theres a company called sallymae which provides loans for postgraduate students. You could you try and cut your costs by studying an Masters part time while working or perhaps gong to a local university and living with family, there are also some universities which offer masters with lower tuition fees.

I agree with what the others have said, I went straight on to my Masters form my degree, I know for sure that I would have felt depressed and frustrated had I had to wait another year (let alone 2 years!!), I like to feel like in doing something and moving closer to my goals. I just dont think its necessary for you to take another year out.

J

Yeah, I've been out of uni for one year so far and to be honest I don't think I can wait another 2. Anyone got any advice on applying for a Masters. How should I explain my 2:2 if I'm asked for an interview?I was found to be Dyslexic just after I finished my finals so I was thinking of mentioning that, although I don't want it to look like an ascuse. I'm looking at applying to Durahm, KCL and Imperial.