What are your motivations for doing this and will they get you through?

O

Hi
As I near the end of a psychology conversion course, I'm thinking of applying for a PhD in the summer, having done unchallenging jobs for many years.

Doing a PhD is a huge undertaking with (I hear) a high drop-out rate. So I'm trying to put in place elements which will make dropping out less likely - e.g. a super supervisor, a great topic, etc.

But how about motivation? My main motivation to do it is to enter academia in teaching. I am enjoying my current research, but being rather extroverted, I feel that teaching is really where it's at, and suspect that I would probably be a fab teacher and an average-ish researcher.

What are everyone else's motivations for wanting to do it? I've heard everything from "wanting to outsmart the ex-husband" to "making an important contribution in the field". How about others?

S

um. i want to reflect on things, think through things, write about things. and this topic is one of my key interests and my supervisor is the smartest person i know. that's my motivation for doing a, and for doing this, PhD. hopefully leading to more of the reflecting, thinking, and writing.

G

"wanting to outsmart the ex-husband"...a new one on me and frankly a bit 'sad'.

J

Motivation - I think what I hope to say is firstly worth saying and secondly may make some people sit up and take notice about the way education is going. Will it get me through - I hope so!!

C

I find my subject compelling and reflexive, and it has changed me.

I want to complete because I have seen how far I have come and what I have left to do. But I don't think I can say this will get me though, alone.

O

chrisrolinski, what is your topic?

C

I am researching the cultural meanings of exotic animals in Britain during the long eighteenth-century. So exotic animals as commodities, material for natural philosophy/ natural history, political (and gender) symbols, and as affective objects.

I find it so stimulating to investigate how attitudes towards animals are culturally mediated, and that looking at animals is culturally variant and contingent. I love being able to look at animals in the contemporary world, and think how my own perceptions are legacies of or departures from eighteenth century ideas.

C

Most importantly I have been changed in this process of looking and strongly believe that most of us need to change the way we look at and value animals. I am now vegetarian, and didn't think I would ever make that change. But when my whole research revolves about contingency in what animals are and what they mean, I began to think that my prevous attitudes towards animals were a (rather unpleasant) product of our own culture.

I couldn't find any way to say the above without sounding pretentious!

O

That is fascinating, Chris, both the area of study and your response to the information. I would love to hear more about the area of study! I am not a strict vegetarian, because I will eat certain kinds of meat once in awhile (usually mixed in with something like pizza or Chinese), but in general try to avoid animal products when eating. I used to drive past a dairy farm on the way to work, and it was heart breaking to see the little new born calves chained up outside calf houses, deprived of their mother, so the mother could produce milk. UGH. When I can, I try to get soya milk rather than dairy milk because of this.

C

I had to learn to like soya milk - which is just about okay with bran cereal and in tea. Soya spread for bread is pretty tasty. I'm trying to phase out other milk based products but it is difficult because they are so pervasive (and yes, tasty too). But eventually, when I have more money and time I will be , I think, vegan.

I haven't bought leather for ages, and my last leather belt is almost totally worn out. So soon, I'll have to replace it was somekind of fabric. The Manchester weather takes its toll on canvas shoes!

G

Make sure you're getting enough protein/B vitamins etc.

C

lol My boyfriend is always worried about my protein intake - but I am just a pallid person! I do however eat a wide range of pulses and fresh vegetables as possible, as well as soya milk that is protein rich (relatively).

G

Is it a 'complete' protein B vitamin wise? You wouldn't want to get Ricketts (I could have spelt that wrong...that spelling may relate to a former Bolton Wanders footballer) or scurvy (seriously).

O

You can get good quality protein from plant protein, as well as various soya products--there is soya cheese, soya sausage, soya bacon, veggie burgers, beans, etc., and in my case, I eat eggs from time to time as well. Plus enough meat once in awhile to no doubt take care of protein needs. I have tried being various shades of vegetarian and vegan, going in spurts. Its easier in the summer when there is more fresh fruit and veggies around, that make eating them more appealing. That said, I actually do not like vegetables that much! Fruit yes, but very few veggies!

C

I've been thinking about taking a supplement tablet - perhaps I should. I should seriously do this, since eventually my diet will extend to cutting out all the few diary products I do still eat.