What are your motivations for doing this and will they get you through?

O

Almonds are supposed to have good amounts of protein, as well as being good for you in other ways. I have read that the most "complete" food nutrition wise is the guava.

G

I wonder what nutrients are in a family size bar of fruit and nut (my dietary stable of choice).

O

I got a really good vegetable cookery book recently by Jane Grigson because I wanted to eat more veg. The recipes are so inventive and sophisticated that I'm deffo eating more of them and now I crave meat less.

Chris, I think it's really interesting how research can change you as a person and challenge your previously held beliefs. Way to go!

Ogriv

J

As a family we have been veggie for a long time, but I just can't stand soya milk. I have dutifully bought all the other types, rice,oat etc. but they are equally bad. Wish I could find something that we liked. In desperation I did try the cereal with fruit juice that was advocated by someone, but it was truly the worst thing I have ever ever had - they are fine apart, but together, ugh!. The thing I find odd though is the way most of the veggie dishes in books etc. are brown. That and the fact it is hard to go out to eat as you can never be sure that the veggie stuff is cooked away from the rest, and my youngest daughter won't eat it if it contains mushrooms or tomato,which rules out a lot of dishes

C

Joyce - you should try cooking from this book, 'World Food Cafe' - the food in it def isn't brown! Lots of vegetarian dishes in here that are tasty, healthy - and don't use mushrooms or tomato!!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZtzS4Rr9ixIC&dq=world+food+cafe&pg=PP1&ots=Y2ED3kK8af&sig=zw6sstL4OlOhGW9uyxZFql-FNzo&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_en-GB__238__238&q=world+food+cafe&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPA6,M1

O

The best veggie cookbooks I have ever come across are the Moosewood Cookbook Series ( American). They have wonderfully inventive world wide cuisine, and its fun to cook their stuff! Lots of adventures with spices, different flavors, etc.

C

I just submitted and am waiting for my viva. My motivation was principally to do something I enjoyed for three years and to get a better job at the end of it in the area I love working in.

The latter has not really come to fruition yet but whilst I was doing the PhD my motivation changed and it really became about challenging myself and achieving something that noone, including me thought I could.

The whole process is pretty addictive and that gets you through - also it is a great lifestyle - you never have that sort of work freedom again to manage your time and decide which direction you want to go in - its a shock when it ends and you end up working for other people again!