What do I place in the methodology chapter?

H

Hi,

I have three studies, each of which have their own methods section, detailing everything that would go in a methods section of a journal paper for example, but in more detail.

In this case, what would go in the methodology section?

Thanks!

C

I'm not sure what your discipline is Hugh, but I'm using my methodology chapter as more of a discussion of the issues, e.g. the types of knowledge and implications of using quantitative/qualitative approaches. I'm seeing that chapter as being more about the over-arching concepts and arguments, rather than a description of methods.

Hugh, this is a great question-it is so hard to work this one out at times isn't it? I can give you an example from what I have done for my mixed methods study-it may help but it is only one perspective or example.

I have three studies and I have placed an abbreviated summary of the methods in each results chapter-one result chapter for each set of data.

In my methods goes a full account of the three different methods for each set of data, plus my over arching epistemology-eg: using interpretive/constructivist methodologies and whole study underpinned by social constructionist epistemology and how the study a mixed methods study could fit within this particular theoretical paradigm. All of this needed explaining and elaborating on before I even got to my individual data set methods. It is basically a justification of my overall approach.

Also included in methodology chapter were descriptions of the site, any variation of methods occurring while I used the constructivist approach and participants (sample sizes) . Methodology chapter had lots of sections including a section on each different method for each data set which went through the methods I used to process the different data. All the way through I have tried to make sure everything lines up theoretically and makes sense. Thus, the methods section in each results chapter for the data set just has a short summary and focuses mainly on the actual results and discussion summaries with interpretations and with a reminder that a full account can be read in Chap 3. Chapter 7 (after data sets Ch 4.5 & 6) has a much more analytical discussion that links all results interpretations together, evaluates them through answering the study's research questions.

I am hoping that this approach is okay, but supervisors don't seem to have made comments to the contrary ('yet' I say advisedly).

C

Another thing I am toying with is moving the methodology chapter towards the end of the thesis, to give it a much more 'reflective' role. Similarly to Pjlu, I have mentioned this to my supervisors and have received non-committal nodding, so we'll see!

I

It might not really be necessary to have a separate Methodology chapter if you're including detailed method sections elsewhere. If you're struggling to find things to write, then don't force it.

H

Thank you very much! Some very useful suggestions here!

I think I might leave the methodology chapter to write in that case until my three studies are written up.