What is your thesis title?

C

Otto and Charco.

Actually, as I made it clear in my post - that isn't my thesis title, simply a paper and sample chapter I am writing at present. The actual thesis relates to changes in the cultural and political constructions of animals in a formative period in scientific and intellectual history. I think the history of science and natural history collecting is a fairly valid field - and personally I get pretty fed up with the arrogant hegmony of much of the 'sciences' of which a majority of the PhD's don't actually change the world or have a point per-se.

C

continued...

From my perspective a lot of science Phd topics are small demonstrations of principles or aim to work towards a understanding in a particualar area. In that respect, my thesis is very similar. It's easy to knock my research isn't it Chaco? I don't pretend to have the first idea about neuroscience, but at least I respect the fact that it has its own value/ benefit to a specific field and yourself. It's a shame that you can't think a little outside the box...

K

[stands up and applauds Chrisrolinski]

It always amazes me when others see fit to comment on the use or validity of someone else's work. I would never dream of doing that - but hey, I'm a good researcher with a good supply of tact and diplomacy .

N

Ditto Chris

N

Ditto Chris

L

I think we're all a little guilty of thinking 'eh?!' to practically everyone's PhD execpt your own! Mine is in nutrition and I'm enjoying it but at the end of the day science can get very tedious, stuffy and pretentious sometimes! A.K.A Boring!!
To me the elephant PhD sounds mad but fab! I'd love to listen in to a talk on your project chrisrolinski!
In fact, at our place we're thinking of forming a group where PhD students share their work but they are from all different subject backgrounds, so we don't get bogged down on the finer points of something I don't understand let alone know how to spell!

P

I love all these different titles and I just think it is great that we are all out here trying to make a difference and driven by our passion for our subject.
I am a the stage where I know I will get my offer next week from the Uni and I am bigtime SCARED of the whole route that stands before me. Listening to others titles really does encourage me that I am not mad, I am following my dream and my ambition and that I am not alone, thank you.

S

'Characterization of complex and novel mechanisms of antibiotic resistance using a proteomics approach' Starting in September.

C

Now that sounds impressive as well as the other title mentioned.

Mine, not so: Design for Manufacture of a Brushless Synchronous Servomotor.It invloves looking at all the aspect and design and manufacture to produce a motor that is 'greener'-consumes less power and emits less pollution. Starting some time this year.

O

My thesis title is:

Exploration of links between human binge drinking and occurence of post-natal depression in female cattle in the period 1880 until 1885: the case of Cornwall.

O

that's a joke btw

L

Damn Otto....I was just getting intrigued....

T

Sounds like a typical human geography title...

K

LOL at Otto

Maybe you should investigate trying to establish a link between "binge drinking cattle and BSE!" with all those buzzwords some government agnecy would probably fund it!!

G

haha! don't mock the human geographer!! grrr I don't have a thesis title yet - I'm 18 months in and am only just beginning to get over the shock of the transfer report. My title for that was 'the internet and the increasing visibility of queer german-turks'...that sounds so simple compared to the other topics on here. If only it actually was!!