when all this is done ... are you going to go to graduation or not?

A

Just idley wondering about that day possibly sometime in the future when all this nonsense will be over ...

are you going to do the full works with the funny hat and the relatives in tow an' all and go to your graduation ceremony

or, are you just going to take the certificate and run?

J

Definitely...cos I look like crap on my B. Sc. graduation photo; I want a decent picture for my Ph. D.

depends on timing, viva date etc. I don't know if it's a similar situation in everyone's case, but our graduation ceremonies are in November. If for example I get a viva date just after november, then it would be a bit silly to wait almost a year for the next ceremony, after getting the certificate.

H

Yes! I get to wear a red gown instead of a black one!

Red is so much more my colour than black

lol H

S

I didnt go to my undergrad graduation so really want to go to my masters just for the experience and photos e.t.c
Did anyone else not go to their undergrad graduation since my dad seemed to think that my friend and I were the only people in the world not to have gone to their own graduation

I couldn't go to my first degree graduation, because I couldn't afford it. But I didn't miss my masters graduation. It was great fun (although I was much older)

S

i will be going because our uni didnt do hats for graduation for my first degree but the one im at now does.. and want the nice hat photo!

S

Definitely. I enjoy the pomp and ceremony and it doesn't happen everyday. Just got to get there first!

A

Yes, go for it, PhD floppy hats are great!

do PhDs get to sit on the stage with the rest of the higher academics, during the ceremony?

J

i'm at oxford ... so kinda have to really ...

K

I will be going in summer There are lots of us graduating with PhDs from our department so it will be really good fun! My robe will be purple. Only disdvantage is that the PhDs are awarded first, so then we have to sit though the masses of undergrads.

Jewel, I was talking to a friend who did her first degree at Oxford and she said she actually had to wait 2-3 years to attend the grad ceramony after her degree had finished - something about becasue they don't have masses of room and everyone wants to go. Is that right? If so I hope you don't have to wait ages to graduate

F

I will be going also. I will be graduating in summer if (a big if), I pass my viva next week. The Uni has already started sorting this and asking if I am going which just feels weird to me at the moment. I want a hat too, having been deprived for both my undergrad and masters degrees.

S

Assuming that I pass, yes, I'll go to graduation. I really dreaded undergrad graduation, but in the end it was quite fun, so I don't mind this time. We don't get hats at our uni