when all this is done ... are you going to go to graduation or not?

C

Duh! Of course!

I'll be totally unbearable getting all my family and friends to refer to me as Doctor for the entire day!

T

Yeah I'll go to my Graduation thing.. I missed my undergrad one so I need to make up for that..

P

I will be at mine with bells on - in August and I will have to wear a red and blue robe and a bonnet. I will get to enter the hall in the academic procession and will sit on the stage for the ceremony. The Chancellor will read the title of my thesis out and I will be so excited I hope I don't pee my pants!

B

Yeah, I'll be going to mine - assuming that I pass that is.
I went to both my undergrad and my masters ceremonies. In both cases I had friends that didn't because they didn't like the idea of all the pomp and ceremony.
I really like all of that, I think it marks an important achievement in my life and it is a chance for my parents to sit there and be proud. If they weren't going to attend my undergrad and MA ceremonies I prob wouldn't have gone, but I'll do my PhD one for definate - no matter who'se there.

B

Sorry, who's - not who'se. *tut*

C

I would quite like to have my parents and grandparents there too. But since I would also like to invite my boyfriend (if I am still with him then) I don't imagine I could have all three there...

you can ask one of your friends who is only going to bring 1. I did that for a friend on my masters graduation. I only had 1 on my list, so I added his guest's name on mine too.

S

this is off topic, but I'm curious: what are all you lot who are graduating soon going to do afterwards? I mean in relation to this forum. Is there some sort of post-doc forum out there or are you just going to keep on hanging out on here, or how are you going to cope with not having this convenient place for support (and for wasting time) available anymore?

O

I'm sorry to say this but the minute I pass my viva will be the last day I ever posted on this forum or spend any time reading threads on this forum.

Without this forum I probably would not survive a PhD but when it's over it will be time to move on.

F

I will definitely hang around. I have found advice from post PhDers invaluable (e.g. Ann, Kronkondile, DJWickid) and hope that maybe I can 'repay' some of the help I have received. Maybe it is more on my mind since I am so very close (agh) to the viva.

Also, I do think that many of the issues discussed can be more broadly applied to research so would be relevant post-doc. I am sure I will still learn from current PhD students and others IF I pass!

C

404: Urm, it is not a case of numbers, more of who is going. My parents don't approve of the boyfriend. They don't like that I'm gay. So I'm left to choose who to invite really.

Still three years away from now!

it's a tough decision chrisrolinski. If I may say so, you should invite your boyfriend but not your parents in this case. If they know you are gay and still prefer to pretend that you are not, then it's time they get used to do idea. I might be wrong (after all, it's not my place to say anything as this is just an anonymous conversation), and I don't mean to sound harsh. But they have no right to put you in a position to choose.

but then they have 3 years to think about it

C

You are right. But it is hard, because I think most PhD's would want the people that raised them there when they become a Dr. My parents do know, but never talk about it and don't acknowledge the boyfriend. My siblings however are great and understanding. So I could always invite them for familial support! Still three years is a long time....

B

chris - could you not mention it to them now? Perhaps set the wheels in motion. Granted it's three years and I understand about possibly not being with him then, but you might be with someone else if not him.
Give them a chance to think about it and see how serious you are about your relationship.
I want all the people who supported me through it to be there, that's mostly my folks and my bloke