When your PhD becomes your supervisor's PhD...

P

I feel like my PhD is being 'shaped' into an extension of my supervisor's research, I am the gopher. Slowly but surely, I feel that it is evolving into their PhD. Whilst I am very interested in their research, naturally, and want to contribute to ongoing excellent research, I feel that anything I mildly suggest that 'I' would like to do, is eventually swept under the carpet. I know they are one of the top gurus in the subject but surely I should be able to have 'some' input? Or, am I deluded?

R

It is the big irony of research and ive been thinking about posting a thread to this effect.

A PhD is supposed to be by its very nature a significant individual contribution to knowledge and as such is a very personal thing i.e, your project, your responsibility, your pain, your chance to shine or fall... basically four years of your life which you could of spent pursuing less stressful and more financially attractive career options. If this is the case, then the student should really be the one calling the shots on their project ( initially with guidance from the supervisor that gradually dissipates as the project progresses)

R

But it is often the case that even supervisors who are completely hands off with PhD projects and couldn’t care less how their students do their research will have very specific designs on the direction and ultimate outcome of the project. To some extent this is reasonable given that in most cases the supervisor is the one who conceived the project in the first place, wrote the proposal and secured funding for the project and hence has a vested interest.

But if a supervisor goes too far down this route then their PhD students are nothing more than lab whores, not world class researchers who think and act independently

S

I've seen this happen a lot - its' the norm in fact for many lab-based phDs. A friend of mine who I think is in a similarish field to you has had this problem in it's extreme form and has not had a good experience.

I have the opposite problem - I wrote my own proposal and have my own funding and didn't realise how much a would miss having a supervisor more involved my area. I'm really out on my own - sometimes I wonder if I've been given too much rope.

There has to be a compromise bewteen these two positions. Do you think you could talk to your supervisor and actually explain that you need to have more input into your project and perhaps discuss areas that could become more directly your responsibility?

P

Yes, my PhD was also my idea, my proposal and I am self-funded. I contacted over 10 universities to find someone to take my project on. My supervisor was/is very excited about my project but since September I have seen my project just drift towards his research. I feel like he says, Ok, that is a good idea but look at what I have done, how about changing towards this, not persuading you or anything but really, this is they way this field is going......etc.

P

I am in neuroscience and I am going to be doing fMRI work, which I find really difficult to understand at the nuclear physics level and I am being rushed into repeating his study with my own participants. I just don't feel ready or able and I am too scared to shout 'help!' It is looking at an area which I didn't plan on doing but recognise it is important but, oh, I am babbling now....better stop. I don't feel bold enough to say anything to him, I am such a newbie and a mouse at heart too, with not much confidence, having 3 degrees has not helped my confidence one bit

S

Well if you are self-funding your own proposal this is really unacceptable! My friend was also self-funding and I think when you come with your own funding form whatever source people can be very excited to get a 'free' pair of hands to collect data. My friend is also in neuroscience and ended up contributing too much data to the collective project and not enough for her own.

You need to decide how much of his suggestions are really relevant to you and take a stand. I know it's hard. I should have been more demanding of my supervisor and I've put up with too much neglect for too long. And my friend should have been firmer from the start but I think she lacked the confidence. Don't do as we have done!

S

pinkNeuron, I have watched a supervisor with a student where the student felt pressured and rushed into doing a project she didn't really want (she had proposed several), and is now considering quitting, whereas the supervisor, I know her well and have had several good private chats with her, she was of the impression that she had simply proposed that perhaps this one project could be good, kind of as a thought experiment, and only continued with that line of investigation because the student immediately agreed and started working on it. what i am trying to say, i guess, is that sometimes there are misunderstandings due to a) the supervisor underestimating how authoritative (? spelling?) his/her comments might get across, and overestimating the student's independence/strength to defend their own position; b) the student not understanding that the sup is really just trying to make conversation; instead, taking everything as firm, directive suggestions.

S

so i was just wondering - could it be that it is this that is happening to you? perhaps a good serious talk with your supervisor, where you mention your worries, would clear some things up.

P

shani, perhaps you have a point. Because I am a mouse, I do tend to say 'yes' too much. sigh. I can't fault him as a person, he loves his subject and I am way ahead with my progress and I know he has my own PhD viva always in mind, he wants me to do well and not have anything to answer for. I just feel so very rushed along, swept along and out of control of the whole thing. I have a 2 and half hour trip tomorrow to get my head straight and try and pluck up some tiny courage from somewhere to perhaps, maybe, perhaps, squeak!! Seriously, I think it is a bit of both, me getting rushed along by not speaking up and saying 'yes' too much and his roaring ambition. Thanks for the input. Better prepare for an early start...will let you know how it goes!

P

my research is very much what my sup wants me to do, many of my ideas were dismissed until he 'came up' with them some time later, also he has actually said on several occasions the research im doing if sucessful will make the rest of this career. if i ask to do something that im interested in im told 'no money' etc. however at my interview it was all ' oh yes you can pursue your interests!' hmm!

P

Well, the good news is that I had a much better day with my Prof. In fact, the best one so far I took control! I made my notes and said my bits, which were taken well and I actually think he enjoyed me taking control for once, so thanks so much for the advice, shani. I have a lot to do in the next three weeks, I start testing February, 300 participants but I at least feel more positive now I know I have to send in all my final documentation for him to give the , I just hope he is not as critical as normal.

J

I tried to take control in the first year of my PhD. Then I stopped and thought:"who will get the PhD award in the congregation ceremony? Me or my advisor?" It comes without saying that the answer was: "me". From that moment I just did anything my advisor told me. I don't care if it's my topic or theirs. Just want the title.

S

glad to hear that it went well, pinkneuron! keep it up!

M

Message Removed.