When your PhD becomes your supervisor's PhD...

A

Hi there, pinkneuron i know exactly where u are coming from, i was stuck in this situation last week. When I started my phd in October I was working in a more chemistry based lab, when im actually an ecologist...my project proposal which was agreed with my supervisors was a combination of the two disciplines which was fine by me, but then as the weeks progressed i found myself being directed more and more into the chemistry and i was too nervous to make much fuss as im a new student, what do i know?!

A

cont...
but then things came to a head last week, i mentioned it to my supervisor and had the most awful meeting ever, he was furious that i considered changing to MPhil and leaving early and that i seemed to think i knew better than my supervisors..it's all sorted now and my own research will be included and chemistry wont take over like i feared, but id advise wnyone in this situation to be very very careful of what you say to sups and how you put things across...im not good at confrontations and i think i may have come on a bit too strong about my concerns!
im still feeling a little lost about my project and totally unmotivated but i know it will pass and at least im still on track for a phd, but dont be afraid to mention any concerns as soon as they arise and that at the end of every meeting uand ur sups know exactly where things stand to avoid any confrontations :)

good luck!

E

Saw today's comic strip and thought of this thread

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php?n=967

P

That is so funny and sadly, so true at the moment .

I have a student staying with us in her gap year to do her MSc in Sweden. She is Indonesian and comes up with funny things. Yesterday, after seeing me battle E-Prime all day and rush around with only 3 weeks till testing, she asked me if I knew what 'PhD' stood for? Solemnly, she said 'Permanent Head Damage', not sure how to take that, but it was quite funny.