Who got the fastest publication

D

Hi, this may seem a little random, but i was wondering how soon into a Ph.D everyone got their first pulication. I have been in mine for 2 months and sending my first one away now, just wondering if this was pretty quick or normal really.

Thanks Duncan

M

are you show-boating??

D

No just curious My supervisor is really keen on us getting loads of publication.

K

Depends on your research I presume, some people publish at undergrad level.

sounds like show-off to me

Here, a thread about this subject if you really are curious :
http://www.postgraduateforum.com/showmessage.asp?thread=6021&cat=4&keyword=publish&newview=1&stype=TM&category=0

D

Ok, think i may have come across badly in my first post. It monday so the brain isn't working to well yet, and i think my over indulgence on st patrick's day may still be telling. I'm not trying to show off, I will be extremely pround and happy to see something i have written in print though. Just trying to see what the normal is in terms of publications etc.

Oh and thanks for the link, that was helpful

I'm not a tw@t normally. My deepest apologies

I feel bad now . Congratulations though, in my opinion it is a great achievement (hence thinking in a jealous way that it could be a show-off). To answer your question, no it is not that common to get published this early in your academic career. My bf wrote a chapter of an academic book before even doing his masters. I still haven't properly published anything (just conference presentations), and I am on my 3rd year.

J

2 months? whats it on? :s

S

are they results entirely from phd or ongoing from an undergrad project? know some people that manage to publish that fast but sadly the rest of were not that lucky in our projects that we found results within a couple of months

J

it aint a publication until it has been accepted

D

yeah i know, i haven't said its been accepted, it probably wont get published, all i asked is when everyone else got theirs!

J

it took about 6-7 months from start of project to acceptance. although it was kind of rushed because we knew there were competitors around. had there not been it would have been more like a years work.

L

Do you mean first author publication or just being named on a publication. I know of cases where people just put the names down of everyone in the research group around at the time when work was being published.

D

Ok thanks, Yeah i meant first author, wasn't expecting such a flaming.

J

you asked for it dude