Working at home

If not a nosey question, dressed (as in putting clothes on) or dressed up?

Changing out of my sleeping gear did delineate between lounging around and getting moving, but getting dressed up to feel like working to me would have seemed like overkill. However, I'm a bloke so grabbing a top and pair of jeans was probably enough to get out of 'bed' mode on the rare times I did work from home.

99% of the time I chose not to work from home, as I could never get motivated. If there were other people around me working, I felt more motivated and there was always the chance we could help each other out with the odd favour. Basically, I was not on my own with the orge of the thesis my only company during write-up. I understand what other people mean by distractions (i.e. someone working themselves or people asking for things, etc. - or having a pub next door to the building I was working in - a welcome distraction - okay, Internet was a distraction, however, that's true at home too), but I was better off generally in Uni. than out of it.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

D

Quote From eska:

Glad you are fully dressed, and not dressed up - which would be quite inappropriate for daywear ('dressed up' means either special occasion wear or fancy dress) unless, of course, you are dressed as a banana or similar!

That's an idea, wearing top hat and tails to get in the mood for studying!

E

Quote From DocInsanity:

Quote From eska:

Glad you are fully dressed, and not dressed up - which would be quite inappropriate for daywear ('dressed up' means either special occasion wear or fancy dress) unless, of course, you are dressed as a banana or similar!

That's an idea, wearing top hat and tails to get in the mood for studying!

It is good idea as long as it helps us to get in the mood for studying :-)

Hi Emaa!

I am finally up - I overslept... Am about to have my breakfasst and then get going on my work. I hope your day is good so far!

E

Hi Eska,

I'm sick today, so I couldn't do anything except sleeping. I hope you have had a better day. Tomorrow I have an appointment for lunch. I'll try to study in the morning if I could wake up early.

D

This makes me think of one of my philosophies on the whole PhD thing - don't get too stressed by days where you don't get much done for whatever reason, it's your overall progress that matters. There's days when you get loads done, and days when you do nothing, but it's the average that matters.

Hi Docinsanity! Thank you for that. I've ony done about an hour and half of editing/writing today, so you've made me feel much better. I ended up going out for a walk this afternoon and bumped into my frend's mum and dad - she emigrated a few months ago, so we were chatting for a while. I also saw another old friend... and now I'm home I jsut feel like flopping. I too will do some work tomorrow. Sometimes I am more productive at weekends, perhaps because I am a bit rebellious and I should be relaxing/not working then... so I concentrat well, plus Sundays are so wonderfully quiet.

Best folks!

Morning Emaa! I had the weekend off after all... was really tired, almost certainly due to all the stress I've had lately, I had a very restful day yestereday in front of the telly and asleep on the sofa for most of it.

Anyway, I'm here now, fully dressed and washed, have just finished my toast, am about to have my cup of tea and then off to work.

I hope your day starts well.

E

Hello Eska,

So glad that you had a good weekend. My weekend was not bad, on Saturday I went out with my husband and friends and yesterday I studies for few hours. I'm in a sad mood these days. I'm still waiting my supervisor's feedback on my last work. I sent it to her 6 weeks ago. :-(
Today, I woke up early, I'm still in pyjamas and sit on the sofa. However, I'm studying

Wish you a great day

P

hey emaa,

have u read the four hour work week? u should. i think u're depressed because u dont have a clear and specific goal in mind. u feel that ur effort is not getting u anywhere. u're all alone working and lost. (okay, if im wrong, then i'm sorry.. been watching too much of *the mentalist* these days haha)

what do u love to do emaa? motivate urself by deciding to spend at *most* 4H/day to do research. so, u can spend the rest of ur time doing something good that u enjoy. well, i don't consider partying as something good, u better scrape that.

psychologically, people feel happy at doing research when they have a clear direction of where to go. they feel happy when their effort moves them closer to the goal. again, if my prognosis is wrong, u must forgive me :)

Morning, I've only just got up and had my breakfast. Am having a slow start because my blooming nuisance neighbour is ringing door bells at funny times of the night and morning 3am, 6am and 9am. Marvellous eh! So I have had very little sleep. He wnet through a patch of rining mne so I had a switch put in for it, but now it seems he is ringing other people's, and I can hear it! AArrrgghhh.

So anyway, I have an appointment early this afternoon so I plan to work until about 12:30, get some editing done, and then do some more work again after that. Maybe two hours more. See you later flks.

T

Hi Emaa. I was in a similar position (although just too lazy to go in, plus I worked in a shared office, and it was easier to concentrate at home). However, being in made me feel more productive as I was "connected" to stuff going on. Can you go to a more local uni library? I often went to my other half's uni. You can get some sort of "library sharing" (SCONAL) card from your uni (all unis do it for PhD students), which allows you to go into others. It's important to be part of a community as doing a PhD is so lonely, and can become quite depressing if you let it! xxx

D

======= Date Modified 28 Nov 2012 20:36:52 =======
I'm going through the stage of finding it difficult to work, so have decided I need to get into campus more. There's a reading group on Foucault, which is something I probably need to know about but know very little at present, so that's a good excuse.

E

Quote From pikirkool:

hey emaa,

have u read the four hour work week? u should. i think u're depressed because u dont have a clear and specific goal in mind. u feel that ur effort is not getting u anywhere. u're all alone working and lost. (okay, if im wrong, then i'm sorry.. been watching too much of *the mentalist* these days haha)

what do u love to do emaa? motivate urself by deciding to spend at *most* 4H/day to do research. so, u can spend the rest of ur time doing something good that u enjoy. well, i don't consider partying as something good, u better scrape that.

psychologically, people feel happy at doing research when they have a clear direction of where to go. they feel happy when their effort moves them closer to the goal. again, if my prognosis is wrong, u must forgive me :)

Hey pikirkool,
Thanks for your advice, I'll look for this book. You are totally right. I don't have a clear goals. Although I'm in the last steps of my thesis and the remaining part is not that difficult but it needs long hours to be done. I'll try to set clear goals everyday and leave some hours for hobbies. Thanks again (up)

E

======= Date Modified 28 Nov 2012 17:37:13 =======
:-):-):-)