Working on 15000 words by end 10 June - help?

L

hey tetris, i know the feeling of "slowly" hang in there! you will get there in the end.

well me? i am "rewriting" my 2nd paper and turning it into a chapter, (elaborating on it - although some of the sentences, sound like the ones i originally wrote! so copying those hehe, other sentences i am rewriting it in my own words, so sounds more like me. but i know my 1st supervisor will end up telling me to rewrite it back again lol. he hates the way i write. but it's me!

and some sentences i dont understand at all! so have highlighted those - mostly to do with stats, and will ask my 2nd supervisor when i next see her- and admit that i dont understand it!).

L

my aim was to get 2000 words done, before i could take a longish break.

i did take a break half way through though, to eat something as was hungry.

to keep me motivated. i am using my egg timer, and i set it to 10 minutes. so i have to write for 10mins without doing anything else. and then when the buzzer goes off, i note down how many words i have written, and then log it in my graph that i just made in excel, with pretty colours. lol

it does help, cause when i see that i only have 1 minute left, it pushes me to get more words in. and then even when the buzzer goes off, i squeeze in a few more words. lol i know sounds insane. but it's working for me!

so far: have done 105 mins of "productive time" and 2093 words.

i just want to finish the discussion then will take a break.

L

clowning good luck! and thats soooo impressive that most of your work is published. you will do just fine

tetris, you're so lucky you dont have a viva to do! do you have to do a presentation or something instead?

T

Haha, know what you mean by not understanding. When I read through my work sometimes I have to wonder who I was channelling at that time. I guess different influences come into one's work that can change how one writes. However, that is what the rewrite is about for me, using my own words and my voice to delineate my work. Pity it's taking so long...It's cold tonight here and all I feel like doing is curl up in bed with a good book.

T

No formal requirements for a presentation for a PhD here. Just 80,000 words examined by an expert in the field.

Guess I'm luckier than I realised.

T

Yes, clowning, with most of your work published and hence, peer reviewed, it sounds like a viva would be no problem. Good luck.

T

OK, Lara, maybe I'll take a leaf from your book and set myself a bite size objective for the next 1.5 hours. .. 3000 words edited in 1.5 hours from now (can't work in 10-min frames, mind's too slow). So, check back in with you then ....

L

that's great tetris! good luck.

report back at 6pm, and tell us how you got on and what you got accomplished..

T

Logging in, this is one of those days I dread, where I go round and round in circles looking for the right words. Despite all my planning, progress is only 885 words, some of which I am still unsure of. I always have the same problem getting started

T

Arrrrrrrrgh

T

*Hysterical laughter* Who says horoscopes are not accurate, mine for today reads:

Time for a lazy day
This influence can introduce much pleasantness into your life through good times, agreeable relationships, sexual attraction and friendship. The problems that you will confront during this time are: overindulgence, lack of self-discipline, and unwillingness to work. This influence does not fit you for demanding work or trying situations, for you are likely to be lazy and unwilling to rouse yourself.

L

awww don't be so hard on yourself, 800ish words is great!! better than 0 words! it's a mathematical infinite improvement for when you first started!

keep going!

T

Thanks. Just made myself a cup of coffee and put on some music to overcome my lazy day blues and pull myself out of extreme lethargy.

L

hey tetris, how's your editing coming along?

i only managed to work half a day yesterday. i was naughty and didn't go back to my computer for the evening night shift. oooooops and now i'm procrastinating!!

T

Hi Lara, I've hit a wall with the weekend, running the kid around in Mum's taxi from one activity to the next, shopping, cooking, cleaning etc. etc. I don't know how I'm going to get it all done