Working on 15000 words by end 10 June - help?

L

well done tetris! that is excellent!!

T

Hi everyone. Took a day off and am back this evening editing my thesis. How's everyone going?

Despite having worked on the chapter for 2 days and having a grand total of just 3000 edited words I feel much better today. Maybe the time off was good.

Target tonight? Just some visible progress, I hesitate to put in a word count but perhaps I can bring it up to 5000 today? Here's hoping...

L

good luck tetris!!! you can do it

you're in company.

my deadline is to get 1/3 of chapter 6 written, based on the stuff i wrote in my mphil thesis, so most of the words are already there, but need to edit, rewrite and highlight certain areas, i need to expand on (therefore lots of blue and pink coloured writing of questions in amongst the body of my text).

my target is to get: 7000 words done (edited) by tonight.

so far: i have 1444 words.

T

Hey Lara, so far I have about 3600 words. Not much because I was skiving, watching the BBC production of Jane Austen's Persuasion on telly for a good hour and a half. But will put my back into it now.

L

3600 words is great!! well done you.

and don't worry about skiving, we all need a break! i've had primeval on in the background the whole day, theres a marathon on itv3. lol

sometimes in order to keep my butt on my computer chair and carry on writing, i have to have something on in the background, so i don't feel bored. i wrote my entire mphil thesis, with matrix on a constant loop lol

ooh Persuasion, i would have liked to have watched that. i was planning on reading persuasion, bought the book from ebay but then it never arrived! and even organised a monthly jane austen book club (like that one film) with my best friends. but then as always guilt that i should spend 24/7 of my time on my phd, came crashing in. something after i am done with my thesis though :)
i must buy it.

pride and prejudice the bbc version is my favourite.

L

persuasion has always been a book i've wanted to read, i loved the concept.

My favourite is the opening page, "it sometimes happens that a woman is handsomer at twenty-nine than she was 10 years before and generally speaking if there has been neither ill health nor anxiety, it is a time of life at which scarcely any charm is lost".

i like it, because i was 29 when i read that

L

btw what field is your Phd in ?

T

There's going to be a whole series of BCC dramatistations of Austen novels coming onto the ABC channel in the next few weeks and I'm so looking forward to them.

My PhD is in the field of media and communications. Yours is in biology, right?

T

I tend to have different things going on in the background at different phases of writing. Often times all there is is silence because I work at night, other times I have loud classical music or light opera. Every now and then I sneak a peek at the telly though I tend not to be able to watch and work at the same time. On occasions I have the washing machine humming in the background or a stew simmering away though that is happening less often these days, I'm getting lazy.

T

How are you going Lara?

I'm done for the night cannot think straight any more.

Happy to say the target has been reached for a change. 5,565 to be exact

Good luck with your meeting.

Keep that chin up you've done well whatever your supervisor says. He's just forgotten how difficult a PhD is

L

thanks tetris!! you put a smile on my face

yah maybe he has!

and WELL DONE you! i am so proud of you. you really did well !!
you are on a roll!!

see you tommorow for the next batch of words eh ;)

i am planning on staying up until 4am.

i've done 3213 words so far, i have to reach my target of 7000 words.

L

which is abit too ambitious.. i'm taking a leaf out of your book, and reaching for the stars..

T

Hey Lara, how are you today? Sorry to read you were stressed out about your supervisor's email and hope that you've passed through that dark phase. I often go through dark nights about my work too and like everyone else here on the forum, I find what helps is either time off to do something active, like a walk or a chat with a friend, or time off from thinking of the work altogether. You know, detach fingers from keyboard, eyes from screen and take a turn round the uni grounds and sit in the sun for a while.

As for my self-imposed deadline, I am so not going to reach it but at this stage I've decided not to beat myself up about and just revise my expectations. Still have half a day and will work on it.

Hang in there, stay well and remember, it is only a PhD, there is more to life even though it's hard to believe it right now.