Would you do it again?

O

CS, I think you lack one thing: common sense

"Golf pro - ask your careers advisor for golfing opportunities with a PhD. I think 5 opportunities is sufficient to give you a flavour."

I think this is a particular weak response to the critical remark by Golfpro. And these five opportunities are rather weak examples and actually fail to give a flavour of anything.

C

O Stoll - I think you just look for an argument. They are the best examples - and the destinations of many PhDs from elite universities.

Get on with your management consulting, or otherwise tell us what are the key destinations for top PhDs?

Obviously big management consulting firms and cetain quantitative city jobs look for PhDs.

C

You're gonna be a right help to your clients - arguing with them instead of coming up with practical solutions.

I didn't agree with your advice that the prestige of the university isn't important either on the other thread. I think your basing your posts on your own personal experience rather than broader experience. What you actually need is a strong experienced supervisor in a top university if you want the most opportunities when you finish your PhD.

G

"I think this is a particularly weak response to the critical remark by Golfpro".

O.Stoll and myself make strange bedfellows, as we generally have divergent opinions. I would actually call it an exceedingly weak response.

C

I said ASK YOUR CAREERS ADVISOR. I'm not here to tell you every job under the sun that you could do with a PhD. You're supposed to be a researcher, so find out yourself!

C

This forum is full of people who prefer to argue and react to things rather than actually take positive steps to solve a problem. They prefer to moan. Hence why I'm commonsense.

Don't you realise how beneficial it is to your career as a scientist to have a PhD if you want to work in industry at an oil company?

G

I was aking YOU to see if you could prove your point. You didn't/couldn't.

C

I did. Just because you don't do those subjects that can lead to those options does not make them invalid options. I'm not going to search out all the weblinks for you, but they are all genuine options I have seen advertised where you actually require a phd (a necessary characteristic) or a PhD is a desirable characteristic (you will be chosen over thsoe who dont have a PhD).

Read Campus CEO by Pinkett for how you can translate your PhD knowledge into a profitable consultancy.

C

I've still not heard an answer from O Stoll the great management consultant about what the best career options are for PhDs (probably because he doesn't think further than his own favoured option of management consulting).

G

When someone uses the phrase any number, I generally expect them to provide more than 4 or 5 examples (if requested). As also mentioned previously, it is exceedingly weak to say..."I said ASK YOUR CAREERS ADVISOR. I'm not here to tell you every job under the sun that you could do with a PhD. You're supposed to be a researcher, so find out yourself!" ...when your 'bluff is called' on such statements. It rather ranks alongside your previous comment of "Golf pro - ask your careers advisor for golfing opportunities with a PhD", which was rather immature of you.

C

Half the level of unemployment that should read of undergraduates that should read.

C

I offer you genuine options that require a PhD/a PhD helps you and you dont like them, so I have to assume you don't do those subjects, hence I thought your PhD may relate to golf. What subject do you do?

C

I said "a number" in fact.

C

Maybe O Stoll is off being hypnotised by Paul McKenna.

B

Weighing back in here.

I think there is a very big difference in the type of PhD graduate that can take advantage of the opportunity to go into business. It is far easier for someone that has had previous business experience (in a specific area) to do a PhD then come out and obtain a job in industry.

However, for the type of PhD student (like myself) that has never really had a job (ie. straight from undergrad/MSc to PhD) you are often faced with the "lack of work experience", when it comes to taking your skills outside academia. Employers don't look as highly on say a PhD then they may on 3-4 years on the job experience.

Again, the idea that you can go straight from a PhD to industry is a bit of an oversimplification.