Would you do it again?

O

This one has been answered above (when I spoke about different paths to success). What I suggested was some advice with the intention to help. Of course, this doesn't always work, but as I spoke from my experiences, it certainly did.

To summarise, I would like to say that I am fully confident that I only take advice from people who have achieved what I want to achieve. In that respect, I was qualified to comment as Badhaircut complained about not having certain things which I have. I would be interested to know how you qualify to comment on this thread?

O

My post was directed at Badhaircut and I stated this clearly at the beginning. Therefore he was the original poster in this case, capice?

O

My post was directed at Badhaircut and I stated this clearly at the beginning. Therefore he was the original poster in this case, capice?

O

For me, the thread started at the entry of Badhaircut on which I commented. Therefore I am refusing to comment on any earlier comments from you in this thread.

M

Fortunately -- and again you're making me suspicious -- I "qualified" (lol), when I, er, hold on, signed up as a user of the forum!!!

Oh god please don't show this thread to your new employers, I'd hate to see their arching eyebrows as your ego and self-image expanded (pmsl)

M

Ok I'll stop now.
God you were easy to fish, I'll just haul you in and throw you in the keep-net. The egomaniacs are always the easiest to catch out (they usually lack self-awareness), and usually provide the most fun. Cheers

O

I love you too

M

O

Now I'm an egomaniac. That's very interesting. If an egomaniac is who I am, than I am quite happy to be one.

O

By the way, I have nothing else to add to this conversation for now and I really need to get some sleep as otherwise it will soon be over with my well paid job. Therefore I hope you excuse my absence from this forum for 24 hours (and perhaps your next attack)

Cheers

M

Nay probs. I've put my fishing rod away,
caught a whopper tonight

M

Nay probs. I've put my fishing rod away,
caught a whopper tonight

M

* Apologies for double post.

Sleep tight o.stoll imo

S

wow, what a debate
matt, just a comment: you smile at how easy it is to taunt o.stoll. well, as anyone who has been around here for a while knows, it IS easy to taunt o.stoll. i have developed a grudging respect for him as he does not shy away from saying unpopular things and WILL rise to "taunts" - although i don't always agree with him and sometimes feel it would have made things easier if he'd just said what he had to say in slightly kinder words.
what i find kind of funny myself is the way you yourself are drawn in to the game. to me, you make a strong impression of a person who enjoys leading someone on in debate, who enjoys demonstrating how clever you are and how superior... hey, you lead a whole late-night debate on whether o.stoll's post was appropriate. basically, i think, simply because neither of you could grant the other the "last word". you couldn't state what you had to say and leave it at that, you HAD to reply to each other's replies...
i'll shut up now

B

I think the last salvo raises an interesting issue. That of a PhD becoming less a research qualification that is intended to train university level academics and lectureres, but instead increasingly another "trinket" for the CV to put yourself a little ahead of the competition when going for that plush city job or management post.

Overall, I don't know how effective it is, as a PhD can alienate employers just as much as impress them, but I did observe the trend happening in my uni during my last year as a PhD student.