from nomination to selection

M

Hello everyone,

I have been selected as the first nominee by my future department for research council scholarship. I How likely am I to get it if I was selected as first nominee? Is it generally pretty much guaranteed or am I likely to be refused funding? The DTC is composed of 4 unis and many more applicants than fundings available have been selected.
I think only my department might have found my research interesting, so not hoping for much from external decision-makers. :(

M

Well done for getting as far as you have!!! I have been through a very similar process myself. It is really promising but at least from my experience it does not guarantee you a place as funding seems to be very short at the moment. It does mean that you have a very good chance though so now you just need to be very well prepared for the interview. Good luck!

R

Congratulations on getting this far! I am in a similar situation, and as far as I understood it nominations are only made for the amount of funded places available (ie in my department, 4 nominations were made as they had 4 funded places available); however I am none-the-wiser as to whether being nominated means you're almost guaranteed funding or not (I wish someone would tell me that!) Have you contacted the school to ask them to clarify? Are you in the same position as me, ie waiting for a confirmation letter?

M

Quote From renegadeofjunk:
Congratulations on getting this far! I am in a similar situation, and as far as I understood it nominations are only made for the amount of funded places available (ie in my department, 4 nominations were made as they had 4 funded places available); however I am none-the-wiser as to whether being nominated means you're almost guaranteed funding or not (I wish someone would tell me that!) Have you contacted the school to ask them to clarify? Are you in the same position as me, ie waiting for a confirmation letter?

Yes, I am in the same position, but I think I might have to wait until the end of May for the outcome of my application. There are quite a few nominated students, so I am not sure about my chances of getting the funding. Good luck with your application. :)

M

Quote From mikew:
Well done for getting as far as you have!!! I have been through a very similar process myself. It is really promising but at least from my experience it does not guarantee you a place as funding seems to be very short at the moment. It does mean that you have a very good chance though so now you just need to be very well prepared for the interview. Good luck!

Thank you very much!! Some DTC are only composed of 1 university, but mine has four and all the unis offer my pathway, so there is some serious competition!!!!

I really hope I have a good chance though! :)

Is there an interview? I was not told about it.

R

I've found out about mine (good news) so I imagine you'll find out about yours soon! Good luck!