my chances of PHD shot

S

Hello,
I've mailed a supervisor from a prestigious university and he agreed to take me as his student.
does that mean i've nailed it? i mean is it like it's secured and that i'm gonna get it? or it's not as secured as i think ?
My CGPA is 3.5 -> B+
i have a publication (IF publication)
IELTS
and two referee letters
and i know that you guys don't know as well, but can anyone tell me if the supervisor agreement is something of huge importance to secure me the place or it's not a very big deal.
looking for some replies

S

hi strangerkiller
No, you haven't nailed it, but you're on the way if the supervisor is agreeable :-)

You still need to get the PhD offer in writing (official letter), then you have nailed it 100%

because what people say today, can change tomorrow

However, your results are very good, very promising future! :-)

best of luck
love satchi

S

Literally he said that "he will be happy to take me"
and in other phrase "he's looking to receive my application"
he's not "agreeable"
in fact he agreed to take me
my question is When the university finds out that he wants me as his student
are they gonna they gonna be like "Yes, let's issue him the offer letter"?
how secured do u think my situation is?
thanks anyway

S

It is the supervisor's decision to ask the university (usually it is the Human Resources department) to send you an offer letter, so when is he gonna do this--we don't know. Other factors are: how urgent the phd project must start, funding, application process etc.

Usually all phd applicants have to send in their application, wait for interview etc. (again this depends on the type of project/phd).

You must be very eager and very excited :-)

Have you sent in your application? If so, be patient and wait a bit. At the same time, you can also look for other opportunities while waiting for your offer letter.

love satchi

It sounds like you have a very good chance, but often a committee helps make the decision as well. In my own university, decisions were made by the faculty's graduate research committee after recommendations from the University's main research faculty. I had to apply, have interviews and then submit a formal proposal. The process took around 3 months or so. I didn't know the lecturers so hadn't approached a supervisor-however, even if I had, the formal committee meetings and discussion would have still needed to happen.

In the case of my daughter applying for a different university ...well she requested potential supervisors who were happy to supervise her and advised her to submit an application-like yourself.

She was going for full funding-fee scholarship and a full living scholarship, so her application had to be approved by the funding committees, then the faculty and university as well. It also took at least 3 months to sort out and it was highly competitive, so she was a little anxious, although I was fairly sure she would get it.

So, if, as Satchi, has said, your potential supervisor has agreed to take you, then you have a very good chance, but the supervisor isn't the only one who has to approve or process your application and the process can take time.

O

hello strange killer

good luck for your future you have indeed good academic background

i am also looking for PhD position same like you ! in chemical engineering department,but my GPA is less like
3.25/4 in masters
good in bachelors 85.68%,
2 US patents and 2 publications in masters

can you or any one can tell me how and where to get phd postions? which countries are easy for getting Phd position/scholarship?

Pjlu and Satchi you can also suggest me !
'