Chances of scholarship...

T

Hi,

I would like to know my chances of getting a scholarship for a PhD, here's my situation: I hold a bachelor of communication (journalism and politics) - though I didn't go for my honours - but, I'm now studying for my masters in philosophy, which I should be done by the end of the year, and I'm focusing on a lot of political philosophy.

I'm in Australia (and a citizen), and I am currently funding my own masters degree. My GPA for my masters might, by the end, be a 6.1. Because of my background, I will do a PhD thesis in political philosophy, thus getting one supervisor from the philosophy department, and one from the political science one.

From this, what are my chances of getting a scholarship (ususally around the $22,000 mark a year)?

Thanks.

P.S: I'm 22 years old, turning 23.

Hi TPK,

It might really depend. Usually the scholarships that provide an income (stipend) are pretty competitive and a 1st equivalence which would be a GPA closer to 7 would be required. How much of your Masters is research and how much course work? Most universities here in Australia want a distinction minimum (6) in course work and a distinction in the thesis as well (which is a separate mark) before accepting you for a doctorate.

However, there are exceptions even with this. For example my state university recently won all these international research awards and have upgraded their entry for research and state that a 1st (HD equivalent to GPA of 7) is the entry for a Phd only. And most Aust. university sites state that their stipends and scholarships are highly competitive. So the Phd is accessible generally with marks like yours in most universities (other than mine! :( ) but you usually have to have a similar mark in your thesis or research paper. AND those that come with dollars are pretty competitive so these usually go the students with the 1st class results.

One other thing though, if your topic is really interesting and in an area that is a real goer, you might get a scholarship with the distinction (GPA 6 equivalence) because the uni or department or some academics really want to explore this...good luck anyway.