Waiting for AHRC news

M

I'm panel 1 and last year successful friends in that panel heard very early, so that would correlate with it going out in panel order, but it might be coincidence. I was told that in the past people from the same discipline heard around the same time though. On the other hand, with all the other changes that have been happening this year I don't know how much we can really rely on past experiences. I certainly doubt that the stats from last year can be carried across too well (sadly, as it was quite good for female Classics PhD applicants aged under 25 - like me - last year!).

M

Yes, I nearly had a heartheart when my boyfriend told me on the phone that I've got "2 THIN letters" lol...

With regards to the success percentages, I think some universities have a near 50% due to the small number of applicants, because technically if only one person applied and received funding, the success rate would be 100%!!! Generally I think with the big-ish universities, the rate is 25-30%.

M

I'm going to Manchester University, they have put through about 70 applicants, and about 40 students receive funding annually, which indicates a success rate of approx. 50% this year, but I'm not really taking it as an indication because there are obviously 3 different schemes (not sure what the ratio of the 40 is between the 3). I think it doesn't matter what the success rate is, it does depend on the individual application (cliched I know lol).

So really we all have an equal chance as far as we know (I know this is not the case due to preference for certain subject areas etc., but statistically we do).

M

*heart attack

the stress is getting to me lol

P.S. Hope it's OK for us RPM or PPM people to post here since it's a forum for PhD students

H

I'm an RPM candidate, too. I think we're all in it together, be it PhD or masters!

E

My rejection arrived just now. Grade 4. That's even worse than previous years. God knows how I've managed to go DOWN. Oh well, kind of expected this.

M

Hi hjscotland, you were posting in the Cambridge Postgrad forums as well weren't you? Then you will know why I said what I said lol

M

So sorry to hear that Error404 =(

Are you currently doing your PhD? Will you be able to finish self-funded?

E

Yeah. I can still do it. God knows what happens to people who can't. It does make you feel lousy, as if you're not good enough for academia. I did apply to one other thing, but that has a success rate lower than the AHRC, so not optimistic.

M

Bad luck Error404. First of many of us I expect. I suppose it shows us panel 8 are coming through anyway, if there is any order.

S

Oh Error - really sorry to hear that You never know, you might be lucky in the other application - I really hope so! I wouldn't be able to continue without funding - I think that's what makes it worse I've been lucky enough to be awarded a scholarship if this doesn't come through, but its at a 3rd of the money and we couldn't survive really - ho hum, will have to wait and see - just feel for you badly

He he, did someone mention the graduate forum??? I'm on there too - not good enough obviously

S

And I really don't think it matters in the slightest the uni, the stage etc etc - we're all going through it together

M

For those people who haven't started yet: what will you do if you don't get funding? I'm really stuck and am trying not to think about it (especially as I get so disheartened when I look for other jobs). My boyfriend has a good income but we couldn't both live off it and there's very little chance of me getting any other funding as the dept has little money and I'm only on a reserve list for other internal uni funding. I don't know whether I'd go part time or spend savings trying to get by for a year before reapplying for funding or trying to get related work to support myself.

S

To be honest I don't know what I'll do - serious case of head in the sand here! Last year (MA) I had a job lined up teaching that was plan B - I was sooooo delighted to turn them down - this year - ermmm - no idea! I think I'd have to work - but I wouldn't want to go part time - I'm a mature student as it is and I worry that if I go p/t then I'll be almost ready to retire by the time I finish!! (well, not quite, but it feels that way). I just don't know its stresses me out too much to consider it. Very bad attitude I know, but my thinking is that I'm tied up until Sept with the MA as it is - time to make plans then

M

Well, I've been using the MA as a focus (/excuse!) too, but it has been suggested that I'm being a little irresponsible not having a plan B yet. My amazing parents have been supporting me through this year but that will end with the MA and I really don't know what I'll do after that if I'm not funded. I've just been planning since my first year as an undergraduate to do a PhD, and it's not until now as I get more and more worried about funding that I've had to start considering the fact it's not as easy as all that...!