Waiting for AHRC news

M

I didn't have any post today :( Maybe tomorrow...even if it's the TLoD

By the way, if anyone is interested in posting at an AHRC specific forum (as everyone is quite scattered across different forums at the moment):

http://ahff.freeforums.org/index.php

S

Is that updated now? I posted there yesterday and I could hear the wind howling and the my post echoed lol
The GU forum is a possibility too - Margot from last year has had her say
I do like it here though - it would be nice if everyone was together like last year - about 60 of us I think - maybe more!

S

Yay, it is - Alice is back - woohooo!
Its like AHRC 2008 - The Nightmare Returns! Old names coming up again - feels like a reunion party

H

Btw, whoever named it 'The Thin Letter of Doom' deserves an AHRC studentship on a separate 'creativity' panel.

S

Yes, it is a very good name isn't it - as is the FLoJ - I do hope whoever named them got their award - they certainly deserve it!

R

a friend of mine got the TLoD last thursday, panel 3 I think. Bleak news.

W

I've asked my mum to ring me if any fat letters come, and I wish I hadn't now - I'm nervous all day waiting for a call, and when I don't get one, I start to fear there'll be a thin one waiting for me!

R

A thin letter came for me...
luckily it was just from TopGolf telling me about their newly refurbished driving range...

M

I'm away for a week: I've just asked not to be told if any letters come at all...

S

I'm still waiting for the post.... I hope I get a load of big fat letters - well, one at least - a nice one.... I just hate hearing the post landing - you can tell the soft plop of a thin letter compared with the big plop. Sigh, why do we do this to ourselves???

R

for the money mostly...

S

I think you may be right there - although the stress..... I'm trying to concentrate on getting my dissertation written and find myself distracted terribly. I know that worrying does no good, the decision is made and its just a case of waiting - but the waiting....

There was a very soft plop on the mat this morning - I didn't dare look for ages - it was a couple of leaflets - so whether the post has actually arrived or not, or whether there will be any today I don't know - I must start having calming thoughts

W

its the way theres no discernible pattern thats upsetting! if i knew that rejections got sent first i might feel at least a little bit better!

M

Yes, in short, for the money. But it's more than that, for me personally it's because I don't want a 9-5 desk job, doing some meaningless paperwork for the next 35-40 years, and hopefully will be able to contribute towards a greater understanding of (some aspect of) humanity.

I was told by someone at work the other day (an accountant), that I was just going back to university because I didn't want a proper job! How cheeky! I'll be glad in a few years time when (hopefully) I'm paid for doing something I genuinely enjoy rather than just a job that pays the bill.

I hate having to wait until 6PM to get the post…but then again, I'd probably hate it equally if I was constantly peeking outside the window, stalking the postman everyday...

E

I know of quite a few people in my subject who simply would not be able to do a phd if it were not for AHRC funding. To me, that seems a v. risky proposition. Without going into details, my income is slightly more than an AHRC award, so I can cope - in reality, if I were given an award, I would have just stashed it away in a high-interest account. I realize that puts me in a v. fortunate position.

I've often thought that awards should go to those in greatest financial need. Most of us applying are at a similar level academically. I know this is contentious, as there is a worry it might devalue those with particularly outstanding achievements. But it would, I think, help those who genuinely need it.