Waiting for AHRC news

M

Error404... If you get a full-time AHRC award, aren't you only allowed to work 6 hours per week alongside it anyway?

E

I think so. But my income doesn't come from work, so it's a moot point.

P

Income is not only from employment.......
I fundamentally disagree with this being income assessed. Very few under 30s in any case have much in the way of savings; would it be assessed on parental income? spousal income?
My husband and I are both applying for awards, because we have savings (though not enough to fund two PhDs by any means!) should we be penalised?

E

I'm just speaking in an ideal situation, and thinking out loud. I do know some who have their parents paying, or older people who freely admit they can pay their own way. Of course, I realize it's not at all feasible to put into practice.

I'm sure many of wish there was a more equitable playing field, and that we had a better idea of how our applications are assessed. That's all.

H

I got a fat letter, but it was info about Career Development Loans. This is PAINFUL!

S

I do agree, for me its the financial side, because that finance will allow me to have the career and the life that I want to have rather than as it has been.
In short I'm 38, I have 3 young children, my husband does not have a high income, its certainly not enough to run a home and family singlehanded. I got very sick a few years back and went to college part time in the evening simply to do something with my brain - which was fine - it was the flesh that was week. From there is snowballed - the A levels went extremely well and I was advised to apply to go to university - it had never once crossed my mind in years of dead end jobs. Uni went far better than I could have dreamed - and I find myself now looking at the possibility of a Phd and a job in academia - my dream position - but without funding....

H

good luck to you stressed!

S

Thanks, and to you too!! Sigh, I just wish that I could afford to do this another way, then ok, this would still be a nightmare - but somehow it might not feel so bad.... *note to self - remember to buy lottery ticket*
I do have another scholarship lined up, but its not enough to live on sadly - I don't know, I'm sure I'd find a way to muddle through, but my family have sacrificed so much for me to do this - with AHRC funding things would be so much easier for me and them - I dont want to have them going without so that I can do what I want to do.

W

so, anyone heard from the postman today? i actually had a nightmare about envelopes last night. how embarrassing.

S

Nothing here... hubby just came through waving a small, thin letter and I welled up - but it wasn't from AHRC - phew!!

I had nightmares last night too - awful ones - I think the stress is getting to me - mine also involved the AHRC, but also someone shredding my dissertation and smashing my computer. Hmmmmmm I'm sure it wouldn't take a dream analyst to work out the things bothering me right now

H

no post up here yet.

@stressed - I really hope you get funding. Study is so much nore difficult for people with families. Its totally biased in favour of single people, like myself.

R

Nope no news for me either. There's always tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after, and the day after....

P

I won't find out until I get home from work .
Now nightly AHRC stress... surely they could do this more kindly, like give every panel a week when they can expect to hear.
It's the random arbitrariness that is so painful!!

H

postman came - I get a stay of execution for one more day (at the very least).

B

I've applied to panel 4 for PhD funding at Manchester and I'm getting increasingly nervous now we've hit August. It's nice to find a place where we can all worry together rather than sitting alone under our kitchen tables, rocking back and forth, anxiously waiting for the postman to come and put us out of our misery.

I got funded last year for my MA and I think I heard from them around the 20th of August - perhaps a little later. What a torturous month. Why does it take so long?! I just wish they would get on with it; so many people are in limbo until they find out. Two years in a row now I've been unable to move out of my flat into somewhere nicer because I have to renew my years contract in July and I don't know if I'll have any income until August.

Anyway, best of luck to everybody. If I hear anything from panel 4 I'll let you all know!