Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Kindle

S

Does anyone have one? Is it worth getting one? I have been looking at the new one on Amazon, but can't make up my mind whether to get one or not. Are many academic books available on it (mainly humanities)? What's the experience of people who have one?

I was looking at in Amazon too. I hate the fact that amazon (and same for ipad) have these different versions i.e. wifi OR 3g and wifi - just sell 1 product that does everything rather than taking bits off and charging different amounts - stoopid.

Not sure about availability. At the mo, it very much appeals, more so than the ipad because of the screen - much easier to read and battery life. But I get the feeling in a few years it will be better, with more available for it and as I am COMPLETELY skint with funding ending in October and no job, I'm going to wait! Maybe I'll give a few hints around November ready for xmas

8-)

L

I'd be interested to know how the new Kindle handles PDFs. Earlier this year I got a Sony ebook reader because the Kindle had no zoom facility for PDFs: pretty useless if you want to use it for journal articles unless you have Superman vision!

J

I bought an e reader for the same reason, to keep articles on it. Sad to say I haven't really had time to do much with it yet, but if you change the orientation of the screen it isn't hard to read articles. I hoped to use if for notes, highlighting bits etc. - and will do...just as soon as I get round to reading the manual properly and getting all the articles loaded up. All I need is another day in the week and I'll be able to do all the things I can't fit in :$

S

======= Date Modified 09 Aug 2010 10:13:48 =======
Sneaks, I think unless you travel a lot to places that don't have wi-fi connection you just simply don't need the 3G. If I get one I will just go with the only wi-fi model.

lupinpooter, I'm not sure about zooming in, but on the ebooks you can change the font size (almost like zooming...), and I guess that should work for the PDFs as well.

L

Which make/model have you got Joyce?

L

Quote From SBCC:

lupinpooter, I'm not sure about zooming in, but on the ebooks you can change the font size (almost like zooming...), and I guess that should work for the PDFs as well.

That wasn't the case for the previous Kindle model, but looking at the new model's spec it seems they've improved PDF handling (up)

J

Forgot to add I also read somewhere that you don't actually own the book, just the virtual copy, and you can't pass it on to anyone else - and a bit more alarming - they can add a time limit on it and remove the book at a later date. I don't know how true those things are though, and as far as I'm concerned I like the actual book to hold, probably why my house is piled high with books I suppose

Quote From SBCC:

======= Date Modified 09 Aug 2010 10:13:48 =======
Sneaks, I think unless you travel a lot to places that don't have wi-fi connection you just simply don't need the 3G. If I get one I will just go with the only wi-fi model.

yeah, if I get one, it will be wifi only, I just think its cheeky that they sell different versions.

J

its the Sony touch, I bought it last year - and I still haven't got round to putting all the journals on it :-(

L

Totally agree with you Joyce: I wouldn't choose to buy an ebook unless it was a LOT cheaper than a real book. As it is the saving is too small (maybe 10%?) to make it an option. I bought my reader specifically for reading PDFs (because reading them on my laptop does my eyes in).

L

Quote From joyce:

Forgot to add I also read somewhere that you don't actually own the book, just the virtual copy, and you can't pass it on to anyone else - and a bit more alarming - they can add a time limit on it and remove the book at a later date. I don't know how true those things are though, and as far as I'm concerned I like the actual book to hold, probably why my house is piled high with books I suppose

Ironically they remotely removed a copy of 1984 from Kindles not that long ago (some kind of copyright problem) but it still shows that they can just go in and take off things that you've purchased. I don't think there's any way around that though, and I guess any e-book provider would be able to do the same thing.

B

I have recently been given a 32gig iPad which I mainly am using as an ebook reader.

Tbh I was initially sceptical about ever using it (writing it off as an overpriced toy), but boy I was wrong. Now I heartily recommend it especially as PDFs look beautiful, are easy to navigate and zoom. Plus I am starting to get cheap ebooks at both Amazon Kindle store (which run on iPad) and ibookstore, and I am thinking of using it to replace my filofax.

Quote From badhaircut:

I have recently been given a 32gig iPad which I mainly am using as an ebook reader.

Tbh I was initially sceptical about ever using it (writing it off as an overpriced toy), but boy I was wrong. Now I heartily recommend it especially as PDFs look beautiful, are easy to navigate and zoom. Plus I am starting to get cheap ebooks at both Amazon Kindle store (which run on iPad) and ibookstore, and I am thinking of using it to replace my filofax.

What's the battery like?

H

I'm tossing up between the IPad and a Kindle DX to use primarily for reading purposes.
do you find that the IPad is fine for reading purposes when the backlight is dimmed?