Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Advice needed on how to manage a bursary!

L

I have applied to various funders for a bursary to cover a three-year PhD in contingency planning, and, if successful, I am likely to recieve around £16,000. I'd like to ask you guys how such a sum of money is best managed? Specifically rather than have £16,000 in your current account what options do I have to make the money work for me? Are there any good savings accounts, easy access ISAa, bond schemes etc that any of you have used?

H

Halifax Websaver is a good option - then just transfer the money as you need.

P

Depending on who funds you, you are likely to have the money paid in instalments. I'm funded by the AHRC and get four payments a year. This amount just stays in my current account as I am using it regularly for the usual day to day and monthly outgoings. I suppose I could put some of it in an ISA until I needed it but it would only have to be transferred back after a month.

P

Not sure what type of bursary you have applied for but for the ESRC bursary you don't get it in one lump sum. It is paid directly into your bank account every 3 months.
I tend to move it into an ING account as they have high interest rates and you can access it whenever you want. I do this then give myself a third of it each month to get me by. Plus temping work too to top it up.

L

I get 12.5K a year and whilst I thought this would be easy it is proving tough. I put it in a savings account and transfer it across each month (but don't do what I did and transfer it on the 1st month esp when the bursary doesn't come to you on 1st of month if that makes sense!) but by the end of the 3 month period I am struggling desperate for the next payment...anyone else like this? Trying to get bits of paid work but don't want anything regular as I feel I can't commit fully to a job whilst doing fieldwork where I need to be flexible. I have never had the bank call me until I started my PhD!

P

I get the same and find it a real struggle. 1k a month goes no where towards mortgage, cost of living, etc...
I do a bit of part time work in between. Find that it is quite a nice relief to do something a bit different to the PhD each week.
It is hard though.
I never thought i would be excited about getting a full time job and a salary at the end of this!

S

Iv'e been told I'm going to receive installments of my ESRC award every month. Sucks as I am just finishing my masters and have been living off a career development loan, and won't be paid until the end of October. Luckily I still have quite a bit of my graduate overdraft left to see me through.