Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Advise to be in the starting set of a new MSc Program

O

I just got admitted for a program in a university in the UK and i realised that i'll be among the first set of students to undertake that program. I learnt from someone that it might not be a good idea to start a course because the school might not have good experience in that program and also they might not have good affiliations with the industry because they don't try to help in marketing their students. Please i would appreciate it if anyone could give advise on this based on previous experience or any knowledge.

J

Well its true.There is always a risk in taking up a new course.That said...if you can elaborate on the course and the institute involved i believe you will get some more feedback

O

The course is subsea engineering and the institution is university of aberdeen.

J

Sorry but i dont know much about the course or the university.My advice is to use the prospects.ac.uk site to check out the scope of the field and the other universities offering a similar course.

S

You can see it in a positive light. Universities have to progress and eventually new courses will develop. Courses will modernise because there will be more research and more knowledge and thus, new courses will appear at universities. It's actually a good sign - we're moving forward. I'm going to attend a fairly new post graduate course this year (10 years) which goes against all the traditional courses in psychology but I find it very interesting and personally more valuable. It is a more innovative programme and I think this is great. I have received comments from people saying the more traditional ones are better/safer but these new courses have many advantages too. It also very much depends on how motivated you are as well - if you don't depend entirely on being taught but conducting your own research and do your own reading, it will help. It's up to you how you approach the course. This is just a different view on it all. Hope it helps!

O

Thanks swatts. That helped a lot. Your advice is appreciated