Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Best Textbooks for Undergrad Maths & Physics

D

Could anyone recommend some of the most generally accepted authoritative texts for undergraduate physics and mathematics?

I am looking for the basic texts that would be used for 1st and 2nd year for both subjects e.g. 1 or 2 texts for each subject.

Additionally any recommendations on appropriate honours level texts to cover the main subdivisions of each discipline. I have a copy of the 12th edition of University Physics by Freedman - as far as I know this would cover both 1st and 2nd year.

Alternatively, if there are any top notch lecture courses that could be recommended - essentially I am at the moment looking for the highest quality resources I can get for physics and maths.
Cheers

D

I've been looking at Cambridge Uni's Natural Science Tripos (specifically physics) and also the Maths Tripos and was considering focussing on the online lectures as opposed to studying from textbooks.

P

Engineering Mathematics and Advanced Engineering Mathematics by K. A. Stroud are good to get you from A-level up to near the end of 2nd year undergrad, I'd say, as far as maths is concerned. The excercise driven format encourages you to "do" maths as you read them, so to speak.

From memory, certain essentials, such as Fourier transforms (which you'll enounter rather frequently in astronomy), are not covered. However, I'm sure there are plenty of good books dealing with the more advanced maths specific to astronomy courses.

B

I'm a 3rd year theoretical physics student, so I don't really know the maths side. However, in my first two years, I found one physics book particularly useful.

Phillips, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, (Wiley, manchester physics series) is VERY useful on its topic. It covers QM from the very beginnings through approximately first and second year level topics.

Speaking of which, I've found the Manchester Physics Series to be good on most areas of physics (the books I looked at anyway), particularly Hook and Hall, Solid State Physics, but it does progress rather further than 2nd year.

I haven't actually read them, but lots of people have told me that the Feynmann Lectures in Physics are very good. However, they do cover the subject in a different way to normal, and I don't know if they would be good as a course book rather than a book for interest.

Hope this helps,

B

Hi, just re-read your message, and you want 1 or 2 texts on each topic. In that case I'd say University physics (that you've already got) is the one to have, as it covers all areas of physics, the books I recommend only cover one area of physics each, but to a slightly higher level. With the exception of The Feynmann Lectures, which are different again.

D

Thanks, I have the Feynmann lecture notes, but was not too sure if perhaps I should be using a more modern text?

V

Wrong website and haven't you heard of a reading list?

D

"Wrong website" - not sure to what you are referring here.
And the answer to your question is...yes, I have heard of reading lists. Has anyone else heard about them? Have you heard about them? I've heard about them. Maybe someone else has heard of them? Are they important? Should we look at them?

Regards

D

I think 'VeryPoor' means this is a 'Post' Graduate Forum.

D

Well, I am a graduate and the enquiry was really just to get some recommendations on good textbooks to brush up my skills in mathematics and physics in preparation for applying for a PhD.

V

Ok but you should of made that clear.

D

The word "should" my friend, just leads to unfulfilled expectations. In any case, what's the big deal? Can we please get on with the thread?

M

...and the word 'of', just leads to unfulfilled expectations for the word 'have'.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself )

V

There's no big deal. But if you would had made it clear I never would have criticised you. That's my point.

D

Oo'er,.. in future I will then ensure that I make everything crystal clear in case I invoke the dreaded wrath of the forum critic.

P.S. Am just yanking your chain - no real offence intended.