Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Conference abstract - different results/changes

T

Hi all,

I recently submitted a conference abstract (which can't be changed once submitted), but I have done some further analyses using a different statistical model that yields some quite different (but more valid) results.

Any tips on what is best to do / anyone know how this kind of thing works?

Thanks!

P

Happened to me.
I stood up, introduced my self and explained that recent results meant they would now be getting a more up to date talk.

T

Makes sense. What about the conference abstract? They're not usually published at this conference, but this year it says they'll be made available in the online program.

I'm thinking I might have to withdraw it, if they won't let me change it.

Who reads conference abstracts from conferences from other conferences? They will likely make a book of abstracts that isn't easily indexable and will be quite hard to find. The risk that someone reads your abstract that correctly used a statistical method (be it the wrong model) and comes to the wrong conclusion, is frankly minimal. If you worried, just focus on getting the results with the right model published as quickly as possible.

There are people who turn up to conferences with worse abstracts.

N

Quote From rewt:
Who reads conference abstracts .

This, lol, describes the majority of attendees. No worries, Tudor, as most people choose the panel of the theme they're interested in and don't bother reading the abstracts, they'll just be familiar with your name/title/association. Most don't even bother reading the paper that some organisations make you put up. But PM's advice is good, I've done that as well, just a brief sentence. The abstracts may be archived online for a bit, but nobody will every go back and read it.

Put an updated one on your academia page if you want and that is what will stick with recruiters when/if they look up your presentation experience. (Although, I personally don't put the presentation papers or abstracts up on academia unless they are enroute for publishing)

T

Phew - thanks. That is half my nerves settled (I have no idea how I actually slept last night).Now it's about having the balls to tell my mentor (at least as I see her) and co-author on this that I got it wrong / didn't do it thoroughly enough (i.e., checking out the models and trying other things) and here are the new results...

T

Don't worry. It happens more often than not that the abstract maybe different to actual results on poster

T

Cheers. I've sent the email now. It should be fine. The results aren't actually that different (just a bit of a shocker when you realise you should have done something but didn't!)

All the best Tudor!
But you can just inform the conference organisers that I have updated results, incase you can replace the abstract...they usually do that, it's just they make it seem impossible so that all participants are not always emailing with changes :-)

T

Quote From Pursue:
All the best Tudor!
But you can just inform the conference organisers that I have updated results, incase you can replace the abstract...they usually do that, it's just they make it seem impossible so that all participants are not always emailing with changes :-)

Thanks - I had actually wondered about that!

T

All was fine - you were all right! I'm still learning these things! Nerves now 100% settled. :-)

Yeah πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŽΊπŸ˜Ž

Quote From Tudor_Queen:
All was fine - you were all right! I'm still learning these things! Nerves now 100% settled. :-)

T

I had no idea we could get emoticons on here!!!

πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘